[Strawbale] The 2006 International Straw Bale Conference in Canada

Hello all!

It's taken me a while to figure out why I wasn't able to post to this list (I wondered where you'd all gone...), but now that I have I'm just in time to send you all the invite to the 2006 ISBBC, which we will be hosting here in Ontario, Canada in September, 2006.

I have attended the past three ISBBC events, in Denmark, Australia and Nebraska, and I am very excited about being part of the organization of this conference, on behalf of the Ontario Straw Bale Building Coalition. I have always found these gatherings to be informative, interesting and very, very inspiring, and would like to promise you the same invigorating experience here in Canada in 2006.

This will be the first ISBBC that is specifically aimed at professional bale builders and designers. We are putting together a very comprehensive program intended to help those in the profession become better at what they do, from hands on instruction in specialty areas to design issues to business development. Attached you will find a preliminary schedule of sessions, which I hope you find exciting and intriguing. If you have suggestions for additional sessions you’d like to see included, please let me know. If you see a session in the list below in which you feel you’d make an ideal panel or forum participant, please let me know. We will be offering reduced rates to people formally participating in sessions.

We have been offered an exceptionally affordable conference rate at Camp Kawartha (www.campkawartha.ca), largely due to our help in building them a straw bale dining hall and greenhouse. This means that attending the 2006 ISBBC doesn’t have to break the bank. Early bird registration rates (before March 1, 2006) are only $550 for shared cabin accommodation and $450 for camping. This includes three meals a day, all your conference fees and use of the camp facilities! What’s better, these prices are in Canadian dollars! Our space at the camp is limited to 250 attendees, and will be offered on a first-come, first-served basis.

I know it's a long way to come from Europe, but I think you will find that it is worth the effort. I cleared out my bank account to go to Australia a few years ago, and it left me broke but happy! There was no question after that about spending the money to get to Denmark. These events have never failed to re-energize me and increase my network of friends and associates world-wide. I hope that you will like what you see in the proposed program below, and rush to register for the conference at www.strawbalebuilding.ca as soon as you’ve finished reading this!

Yours sincerely,

Chris Magwood
613-473-1718

Tentative Schedule for the 2006 ISBBC

*Note: A hands-on component will be focused on the construction of a new office building for our camp hosts. Topics and schedules for hands-on sessions will be announced after the plans for the building have been approved.
* One session room per day will be made available for ad hoc and impromptu sessions.

Sunday PM
Welcome and Keynote Address

Monday AM
  1. Home Owner’s Forum: A Discussion for Owner/Builders
  2. International Development
  3. Water & Waste Systems: Options and Strategies for Integrating into SB Designs

Monday PM
  1. Design and Designers: How to work together with owners and builders
  2. Foundations: Best materials and practices

Monday Evening
            Keynote Address: David Eisenberg

Tuesday AM
  1. Budgeting and Costing: Estimating practices and examples
  2. Publishing: Books
  3. Other Natural Materials: Design and Build Techniques

Tuesday PM
  1. Insurance: For Homeowners and Builders
  2. Publishing: Journals and newsletters

Tuesday Evening
            World Tour of SB: Builders, designers and owners show off slides of their work

Wednesday AM
  1. Business Case Studies: How we make a living with sb
  2. SB Associations: How we’re organized and how we can work together
  3. Renewable Energies: How to incorporate renewables into bale homes

Wednesday PM
  1. Business Matters: How to be a successful “green” business
  2. Networking with other natural building organizations

Wednesday Evening
            Straw Bale Olympics: National and regional teams compete in bale-centered events!

Thurdsay AM
  1. Prefabricated Bale Walls: Experiences and Ideas
  2. Testing: Update on testing done to date
  3. Heating and Cooling: Different technologies/strategies and how to integrate with SB

Thursday PM
  1. Workshops: How to teach a good workshop and developing a curriculum
  2. Testing: Planning a strategy for the future

Thursday Evening
Keynote presentation: A world of natural building slide show
Dance w/live band

Friday AM
  1. Financing: How to obtain financing as an owner and a builder
  2. Codes: A review of the new California codes
  3. Clay and Clay Science/Lime and Lime Science

Friday PM
  1. Entering the Profession: Becoming a paid sb builder
  2. Codes: Looking ahead

Friday Evening
Keynote presentation

Saturday AM
  1. Stock Plans: How to create them and sell them
  2. Training and Standards: Defining a  Straw Bale Professional
  3. Ventilation: Passive and active technologies and strategies

Saturday PM
  1. Case Studies: The Best Sustainable Building I’ve Ever Made
  2. Roofing: Materials and Techniques

Saturday Evening
Closing Keynote

Sunday AM