[Strawbale] Strawbale house plan in Wales, UK

Dave Howorth dave at howorth.org.uk
Wed Apr 3 00:36:11 CEST 2013

There isn't a concept of 'allowed' or not in UK Building Regulations. We
don't have a prescriptive 'code', we have a set of requirements together
with a set of guidelines of how they can be met but you're free to
propose any other solution you like.

So strawbale is possible either as loadbearing or as infill.

The regulations in England and Wales are very similar but there are a
few differences. There are yet more differences for both Scotland and
Northern Ireland. To some extent the differences reflect the more severe
weather experienced outside England and lower population densities etc,
and to some extent the differences just reflect different traditions or
opinions.

Regards, Dave