[strawbale] Happy reading

Hi,

I received this email yesterday and felt it is worth sharing.
For those who don't know, TLS is The Last Straw (the worlds best magazine on SB and some other natural building). And Judy Knox is the one who (with her partner in crimes Matts Myhrman) started TLS. Mark Piepkorn has been a TLS editor.

Happy reading

Mark Piepkorn wrote:
I'm sitting in a camper in a campground with a laptop working on a
long-needed redesign of the TLS website (which won't be done and uploaded
for at least another week), and just had the opportunity to re-read a piece
that Judy Knox wrote back in '96 for the first resources issue. I was
particularly moved by some of her words in the second part of the article,
which ring as true today as they did then. Truer!

I thought some of you might enjoy reading this again.

And if anybody wants to forward it to the CREST list, g'head. I'd
do it myself, but not having a phone line anymore and hence only sporadic
access to the 'net and email, I had to get off that high-volume group.
Since I'm not joined up to it, I can't post to it.

Oh, and also, people on that list (and maybe this) would
appreciate some photos of a low-tech bale retrofit project in Maryland,
along with some shots of a new SB addition on the same house. They're at
http://www.potkettleblack.com/misc/sam1.html (it's Sam Droege's place, who
some may remember from the CREST list if they've been around for a while,
or from the '98 Colloquium East if they were there).

Sam embodies the spirit of an excellent essay by Rod Miner with
Marty Stomberg, also from the pages of TLS, which can be found reprinted on
the web at http://www.strawhomes.com/main/back/21_1.html

-----

Knowledge In The Making
by Judy Knox - Tucson, Arizona
Issue #15, Summer 1996

A Resource Directory for Straw-Bale Construction;
it's certainly grown into a necessity, and promises
to be one of the most useful issues of TLS ever
produced. As with any directory, however, it's
functional when you need to access specific
information, but can be pretty boring fare in the
eyes of some beholders.

My eyes may be a bit more "straw-crossed" than
most, but when I behold this compilation of people,
tools, materials, information systems, and
collaborative support networks, I see a brilliant
kaleidoscope of people's creativity, curiosity,
mistakes, risks, changed choices, cooperation,
courage and commitment... weaving and
connecting into designs that we may never fully
understand or replicate, but which have, from the
beginning of this modern-day straw renaissance,
inspired our growing community to stretch and to
reach toward new visions of what is possible.

Seven years ago, as Matts Myhrman's article
"Ruminations of a Hunter-Gatherer" [see page 32]
reveals, the information base for straw-bale
construction was as sparse as the numbers of
people who even knew it was an option. Those few
people, as well as the straw-bale houses they built,
were widely scattered around the United States
and Canada, with little or no awareness of each
other.

Their predecessors - the early 1900's Nebraska
straw-bale homes, and those surviving pioneers
who built them, lived in them and remembered
them - were scattered in isolated pockets of the
Sandhills. Roger Welsch's valuable research about
them, reprinted in Shelter (1973), connected
readers of that book to historic straw-bale
structures, and kindled the mostly private
imaginations of others to discover more. Welsch's
article guided Matts and I on our first research trip
to the Sandhills in August of 1989, where we
documented the homes, memories and stories of
these straw-bale pioneers. They were generally
unaware that anyone else beyond their ken had
built with straw bales, and surprised that others
would be interested in their experiences.

I see the most far-reaching effect of our Nebraska
roots in the way we have thus far perceived the
technology and its fast-growing information base
as public domain. Here's the formula for our
community-based revival: gather the existing
information, use it - with your own innovations - to
build with bales, record what did and didn't work,
and pass that information on to others. Today, this
culture of inclusiveness and grassroots
participation at every level of both growing and
using our collection of resources is the beating
heart of the straw-bale construction revival.

In 1989 the sum total of compiled and distributable
information consisted of the Shelter article; a Fine
HomeBuilding article about an architect's straw
-bale studio in Winters, California; two articles in
Mother Earth News; David Bainbridge's working
paper on straw-bale construction; and some local
newspaper or newsletter reports. That was just
about it, other than the scattered buildings
themselves and the knowledge and images stored
in the minds and photo albums of the people
connected to them.

>From 1989 through 1991, information was
gathered and distributed in very word-of-mouth,
hands-on ways. People like Bill and Athena Steen,
Steve Kemble and Carol Escott, Virginia Carabelli,
Tony Perry, Matts and I, and others, began building
and experimenting with straw-bale construction in
New Mexico and Arizona. Matts and I would often
show our historic slides, adding current ones as
more buildings were built. Growing groups of
people showed up for wall-raisings, and, as word
spread, we began showing our "straw and piggy
show" to more and more groups and
organizations. Simultaneously, Matts injected his
enthusiasm and knowledge through phone lines,
letters, visits - connecting people and information
with tireless zeal. He pursued every lead on other
straw-bale structures and/or people who might
know anything about them. Our file cabinets began
to bulge with straw-bale information. He wrote
articles about what we had learned so far and
published them. A short bibliography, and then a
"cobbed together" information packet were
developed to meet the growing requests for
information. Soon, some of us began teaching
workshops as a way of distributing the growing
information-base, which required us to develop
some teaching materials. Matts and I produced the
brief Straw Bales for Shelter video, while Steve
and Carol began planning their introductory video,
The Elegant Solution. David Bainbridge (who had
been loving and researching straw-bale buildings
longer than any of us), along with Bill and Athena,
planned to produce the first simple information
booklet, while Steve MacDonald and his son Orien
began work on the first Straw-Bale Primer.

As Matts and I headed for the Sandhills of
Nebraska for our second research trip in the
summer of 1991, there was a small but growing
straw-bale community, excited about participating
in this grassroots revival. Straw-bale construction
was not the primary involvement for any of us
(though Matts was fast approaching his full-time
bliss!), and none of us could have predicted the
tidal wave headed our way which would threaten to
engulf our lives, and would change them forever. In
a few short months, interest in straw-bale
construction would be kindled into wildfires
nationwide, fueled by a media coverage blitz. Our
principal challenge would become how to compile
and transfer the rapidly-growing information base
into adequate information resources, and develop
distribution systems quickly enough to meet the
explosive public demand without being totally
overwhelmed in the process.

The Gospel According to Judy

Five years later, as TLS approaches the
completion of its fourth year of uninterrupted
quarterly publication, including this 15th, resource-
packed issue, I have a few thoughts and
ruminations about the straw-bale revival and
growing our wisdom and knowledge as straw-bale
resource providers and users:

* Straw-bale construction carries its own power to
excite people's interest and to transform the lives
of people who use it. There is something about
straw-bale construction that touches our deepest
yearnings and reconnects us to our personal
source of power. Straw-bale resource providers
are not the message, only the messengers.

* Straw-bale construction is a dynamic, fast-
changing technology. Its grassroots-grown
information and resources are only a composite of
many people's experience, including some
research and testing, of what works and doesn't in
differing situations and environments. Just as straw
-bale construction is one choice among
appropriate construction methods, its resources
are choices or options for how to build with straw
bales, rather than "the way" to do things.

* Our work as resource providers is most powerful
when inspiring resource users to fully and
responsibly participate as straw-bale innovators
and community members.

* Good resource providers have a primary
responsibility to remain actively informed and
engaged in the fast-changing information and
resource network. That includes doing the work of
"the commons", i.e. that work that benefits the
whole straw-bale community, present and future,
but that does not necessarily bring immediate
personal gain.

* Resource users have a primary responsibility to
be accountable for their own choices, thoroughly
checking on the reliability and competency of
resource providers, and choosing appropriate
information and human resources as a tool to
guide their own problem-solving process.

* Resource providers and users are most
empowered by straw-bale construction when
choices about which resources to use and which
people to work with are clearly connected to
essential values. For a straw-bale designer/builder
who left conventional building behind because of
its destructive environmental consequences, a
7000sf straw-bale home with a four-car garage that
your potential client wants may be equally
inappropriate and harmful. For an owner/builder
who is just rediscovering the "I Can", a straw-bale
"expert" who is telling you "the way" to do things as
though you have little of value to contribute may
shatter your fragile confidence with a shrug or
raised brow. You deserve an advocate, so find
one.

* Both straw-bale resource providers and users
must be realistic and honest with each other about
what to expect, what is offered, and what is doable
according to the circumstances. Taking the time to
come to absolute clarity with each other is time well
spent in the long run.

Now, in the summer of 1996, the information and
resource base for straw-bale construction
continues to grow rapidly, but even more dramatic
are the changing needs and opportunities that
continually challenge the usefulness, dependability
and availability of these resources. There's lots of
new information pouring in, with people climbing on
board to teach, build, design and innovate. The
moment of choice nears, whether this powerful
straw-bale alternative can include this new rush of
people and energy, while holding firmly to its deep,
nourishing grassroots.

Crucially, I see the inclusive and transformative
power of this revival dependent on the degree to
which each and every participant becomes both a
learner and a teacher, both a resource user and a
resource provider.

The Last Straw
http://www.strawhomes.com
http://www.thelaststraw.org

*

----
For instructions on joining, leaving, or otherwise using the GSBN list, send email to GSBN@lists....com with HELP in the SUBJECT line.
----

La Maison en Paille
Information Center on ECO-LOGIC Habitat

Andre & Coralie de Bouter
Le Trezidoux
16290 Champmillon
Charente, France
Tel. (0)5 45 66 27 68

m.ep@laposte...
www.la-maison-en-paille.com

We are currently building our Straw Bale house/'hotel' to receive people for guided tours, Straw Bale workshops, as well as other workshops.
We offer multimedia presentations on SB construction and are working on a (copyright free) CDrom on Natural Construction.