[Strawbale] Quick and efficient

Ciaran Kennedy crkennedy at eircom.net
Fri Jul 20 15:11:23 CEST 2012

I stored my bales for a year under a black plastic tarp in the West of
Ireland which is quite wet and very windy. I lost 20% of them but they were
cheap so it didn't cost that much. The bottom layer of bales which were on
pallets were unusable after storage and some at the top and sides also. I
rolled the sides of the tarp around a 35 x 45mm x 4.8m length of lumber and
hung weights (concrete blocks) along it to hold the tarp down. Big problem
was neighbours cat liked to sit up there and the claws punched little holes
in the plastic. So a better tarp would be a good idea. I also lived on site
and remember spending a fair bit of time making it secure and patching etc.
so I would not attempt outdoor storage again - there is the potential to
lose them all.

Ciaran