[Strawbale] OSB or Not? (rendering versus sheeting) (dirk witvrouwen)

Sport Hotel, Jure Pozar jure.pozar at gmail...
Mon Dec 6 11:43:45 CET 2010

Dear Kitta,

I am not sure if they have maintained the plaster with the regular lime
washes, as I haven`t asked, but this happened to a few houses this old
and I would say at least one of them must have had an orderly
housekeeper to maintain the plaster properly. As far as I understood the
problem of the plater was not the cracking itself, but rotten straw
underneath to which the plaster is attached which caused the plaster to
shear in whole layers. I reckon lime plaster needs to be maintained with
lime wash every few years (perhaps every year?) otherwise you have
problems with cracking in the future. But I was addressing different
problem here: straw rotting underneath the otherwise healthy lime plaster.

Regards,

Jure

S, Kitta Potgieter pis(e: