Re: Can you answer this question?

Jan,

You appear to understand more about the subject than most lighting people
do.

The standards for lighting were devised by lighting people who get paid for
lighting things up.  They never want to be embarrassed by anybody
complaining that there isn't enough light.  The lighting manufacturers and
the power companies give them lots of encouragement.  Very few individuals
ever question the craze to turn night into day.

It is time to reassess all lighting standards from the environmental point
of view, particularly considering energy waste in the form of light
pollution and the need to reduce greenhouse gas emissions.

The Cinzano et al. paper in Monthly Notices of the Royal Astronomical
Society 328(3), 689-707 states that light pollution in most places is
doubling per decade.  Limiting magnitude observations in Melbourne confirm
this.  In fact this exponential rate has been maintained locally for many
decades.  It is time that the growth of outdoor lighting was brought under
control.  To get back to the situation in the Kyoto base year of 1990, about
half of all outdoor lighting needs to be decommissioned or the total usage
needs to be halved, or some combination of these.

It is also time that greater allowance should be made for the sensitivity of
older people to loss of visual performance from glare.

Good luck with the light pollution laws!

Barry Clark