RE: [Strawbale]Some loadbearing compression ideas/questions

Just a mention about Dipping bales in lime . . . There is a spanish engineer who has developed a method where he dips the entire bale in lime wash, lets it dry, and creates very solid bricks with it. He uses these bricks to wrap a wooden structure.

Of course, I have asked him: 1) why use a structure if these straw/lime bales are so solid? and 2) why bother at all, if the bale can carry the load without dipping? he says he feels it protects the bale from possible insects, rot, etc. and likes the hard surface it leaves. . .I am not recommending or criticizing this method. I just thought it was curious. Has anyone out there tried anything similar?

sincerely, Rikki