RE: [Strawbale]Some loadbearing compression ideas/questions

Title: RE: [Strawbale]Some loadbearing compression ideas/questions

G ‘day Rene et al

I always pre-compress my walls even in buildings using the in-fill or post and beam method.  Our testing at the University of New South Wales showed that even with pre-compressed walls we did get some creep in the render.

I usually get at least 100mm pre-compression which gives me a sense of security before we load up the roof.  We are now using a different method of pre-compression and I will describe the method in some detail on SB r-us one day soon with some photos in the files section.

The roof should go on as soon as the walls are up in the case of load bearing and we use load bearing as our preferred method of building in straw bale.  I do not like the dip method for many practical reasons and would not use it as I feel it is very cumbersome and how do you get straight walls using this method?

Nothing against Tom Rijven’s method but not for us.

Kind regards

The Straw Wolf

http://strawbale.archinet.com.au

61 2 6927 6027