[Strawbale]Measured heat flux through a real wall/ceiling

Mark Bigland-Pritchard // Low Energy Design hyphen at dial....com
Wed Mar 9 00:18:21 CET 2005

Jenik -
Your previous post made clear what I had negligently left unsaid about
the role of convection currents in sb walls.  Thanks.  In response to
the one below,:
Jeff Christian's view of the failed ORNL R-value test  (he backed up
this view with CFD modelling) was that a convection cell the full height
of the wall was established in the bales.  This was only possible
because the plaster was inadequately bonded to the bales, leaving
vertical air channels.
Somebody (I think it was Bruce King, from California, but I don't
remember for certain) has suggested that all gaps between bales should
be filled with straw-clay mix rather than loose straw.  The reason given
was to reduce fire risk, but it could also help to cut down the
possibility of convection.
As Dirk has hinted, though, bales laid flat will behave differently from
bales on edge in this regard.  Convective flow across the bale wall will
be much lower in the case of bales laid flat (at a reasonable bale
density, anyway).
Mark