Re: [strawbale] [RENOVATION:] wing insulation made of straw

Herbert,

>I found an interesting article about a straw(bale)-insulated foundation. I
>read about frost shallow foundations, as used in scandinavian countries,
>using horizontal EPS-insulation, but I never heard about wing-insulation
>made of straw. This would be a possibility to insulate and dry old houses,

and Herberts sketch of his suggested SB wing insulation
>http://www.baubiologie.at/wing_isolation.html

I don't want to sound like a wet blanket. This solution requires a low water
table and preferably dryable ground ie sand. Heavy clay or loam requires
drainage and is probably too hydroscopic for effective insulation. As you
illustrate in your sketch a down grade from the house is also very important
in any circumstance. I am also not so sure how long the Straw insulation
will give effective insulation. I am almost sure it will decompose over time
the question is how fast. Next and not least you need the space for the
added perimeter. As you might understand this is not viable to most people
in the Netherlands with ground costing upwards of Euro 200,-/m2 a very
expensive heat sink/storage. But where space is not such a problem using it
effectively is a good idee.

But please put the above reservations aside I am quite interested what
results a practicle experiment will deliver. I also quite like the concept
of wing insulation. Its just a question of finding out if it is appropriate
for the situation. I think with extreme perimeters ie 20 feet you end up
with diminishing returns the insulation+water barrier will be more expensive
then the gain. (Straw given a long enough life span would be a good choice)
I would insert some other non perishable insulation maybe for the first
meter under the straw close to the house. I like the idee of a house having
dry feet. It makes me feel cosy anyway and as we all know a dry house is a
healthy one. Wing insulation is much better at achieving this then perimeter
insulation and worse case no insulation!!

Greetings,
Rene