[strawbale] new email address

Hi There Strawbalebuilders,

I have recently changed my email address from john.burrows@euphony... to the
above and so I have been a bit out of touch with what has been happening in
the group and am looking forward to hearing from you again.

I had the pleasure of meeting with many of the members of the group at the
2000 gathering at Redferns and was very impressed with what I learned. Having
been involved with the building industry in the UK for many years is was
quite an eye opener to see what was being achieved using alternative
materials and methods.

My daughter and son-in-law run a 20,000 hectare farm in the Waterberg
district of the Northern Province of South Africa about 200 kms North of
Johannesburg and this area has recently been proclaimed as a biosphere
reserve.

There are two small settlements on the farm which house about 1000 people and
where their labour force live and many of the houses are in urgent need of
replacement so there is a great need for low cost sustainable housing.

Having recently switched from a main crop of tobacco to wheat there is an
abundant bi-product just waiting to be put to use together with an abundance
of naturally growing poplar, bamboo and reed together with sand clay and
stone, all ideal for building.

At the end of January I am off to SA to start on an exciting project to
develop a strawbale system utilising as many of these naturally occurring
materials and without the need to buy in too much in the way of timber and
plywood and even cement.

The ground around the area we will be building is very sandy and therefore
flexible so it may be necessary to use a shallow concrete trench-fill
foundation. We may also try a dwarf stone wall of 20-30cms on which to sit
and protect the bottom layer of strawbales.

The walls will be raised in the proven loadbearing method but then comes the
two main areas of experimentation with the installation of door and window
frames and the load bearing ring beam on the top of the walls.

The cheapest door and window frames available in SA are made of steel and so
have a very narrow profile, windows about 4cms and door frames under 10cms. I
want to experiment with fitting them directly to the strawbales, without
plywood liners, so we will have to provide support above to carry the roof
and develop a method of pining the frames to the bales and allow enough space
around the frames for plastering.

I had thought of making up steel U shaped staples about 20cms wide which
could be welded to the sides of the frames and then spiked into the bales.
The frames would be capable of carrying the weight of the roof but it may be
necessary to use a strip of plywood inserted into the sides of the window
opening under the top layer of bales to spread the load evenly above the
frames.

Instead of making up the wall plate from 100x50mm timber and plywood I am
going to experiment with making up a ladder style frame, the width of the
bales, using poplar poles of about 60-80mm dia which can be nailed or wired
together. The legs of the assembly would be of different lengths so that when
laid on top of the strawbale walls the joints would overlap and could be
braced to avoid a weak point and sagging of the roof. The gaps between the
'rungs' could then be filled with a clay/mud mix to protect the top of the
bales.

The roof could be built in one of two traditional methods: using sheet metal
corrugated sheets which would require milled timber rafters to provide a
level surface for the sheets to lay on, or alternatively my preferred method
pitched with poplar poles of about 60-80mm dia and then thatched using
locally grown thatching reed.

The locals will I am sure be able to provide the expertise needed to source
the right material and provide the expertise to plaster the walls, as mud and
clay render is a traditional method of covering the interior and exterior of
mud block, concrete block or timber wattle framed buildings.

We will have many other problems to solve along the way as this will be the
first time I have engaged in a strawbale project as up to now it has all been
theory and now it time to put it into practice and I have got just 6 weeks to
perfect it.

If we can overcome all the problems on this first run then I am hoping to set
up regular workshops with the local people to teach them the method as there
is a dire need for all sorts of building methods to fill the desperate
housing needs of millions of South Africans with low cost eco-freindly
housing. Who knows some of you might like to join me at some time in the
future.

If any of you have any advise, comments, ideas or information that might be
useful I would be pleased to hear from you.

In the meantime I wish you all a Very Happy and Successful Strawbuilding NEW
YEAR.

Best wishes
John Burrows.