Subject: Re: BETEC Symposium
To: "Catherine Wanek" <blackrange@zianet...>
From: Arun.Vohra@EE...DOE.GOV
Date: Wed, 11 Jul 2001 15:07:37 -0400

Catherine,
     Here is some more information.  Would you like to be a Co-Moderator
for the strawbale session (3 presenters)?  Please let me know by early
afternoon tomorrow, July 12, as I have to send the program to the printer
soon afterwards.  Unfortunately the Symposium costs almost $300, but the Workshop costs $100.  - Arun
==========================================================================================================================
               The Building Environment and Thermal Envelope Council
(BETEC) will host a two day-long symposium titled "Sustainable Buildings
III" on October 17 - 18, 2001 in Santa Fe, New Mexico in conjunction with a
4-day workshop on October 13 - 16 in El Rito, New Mexico (one hour drive
from Santa Fe.)

     The Workshop will feature hands-on instruction on various old and new
construction technologies such as Papercrete, Earth Tire walls, adobe, straw bales,
QuickFill wall using leaves and sawdust, flyash to insulate and make
pourable foundations and floorslabs, composite wall structure etc. .
     Limited accommodation is available at the Workshop site, Northern New
Mexico Community College, El Rito, NM.  For accommodation, please contact:
     Dorothy Duran,
     Campus Director, Northern New Mexico Community College,
     El Rito Campus, Hwy 554, P.O. Box 160
     El Rito, NM 87530
     Phone: (505) 581-4156; Fax: (505) 581-4130
     Email: DDURAN@NNM...CC.NM.US

The fee for the workshop is $100 for all four days.

The Symposium will be held at the Radisson Hotel, Santa Fe, NM

Wednesday, October 17, 2001   Radisson Hotel, Santa Fe, NM

     Keynote:  Robert M. (Mike) Unthank
               Director, Buildings Industry Division, State of New Mexico,
               Chairman, National Conference of States on Building Codes
               and Standards (NCS/BCS)

     Moderator: Arun Vohra, Thermal Insulation and Building Materials
Program Manager,
U.S. Department of Energy
     Co-Moderators:
Andre Desjarlais, Program Manager, Oak Ridge National LAboratory,
Fermin Aragon, General Construction Bureau Chief, State of New Mexico
Lindsay Chism, Home Builders Association of Central New Mexico
Sema Wynne, Santa Fe Area Home Builders Association
Karen Sturnick, Habitat for Humanity, Santa Fe
Michael McDiarmid, Energy Engineer, Energy Conservation and Management
Division, State of New Mexico
Sara Hart, Senior Editor, Building Science and Technology, Architectural
Record Magazine, McGraw Hill Inc.
Amy K. Townsend, Director, Sustainable Development International

9:00 AM        Technical Session

LEED -Residential -- The Materials Perspective
An introduction to the Materials Resources portion of the U.S. Green
Building Council's Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design
residential rating program.
Ann V. Edminster, National Resources Defense Council

Seattle Sustainability Activities.
Leading By Example: Political and social keys to developing a LEED-based
municipal green building program and innovative examples of the program in
action.
Michael Aoki-Kramer, City of Seattle Dept. of Design, Construction and Land
Use

Green Materials and Sustainable Guidelines for Housing
Comparison of databases used to certify green building materials; local
sustainable guidelines contrasted with USGBC Guide.
Erv Bales, New Jersey Institute of Technology

10:10 A.M.     Coffee
10:30 A.M.     Session Resumes

Environmental Life Cycle Inventory of Single Family Housing
Results for a typical house with various exterior wall assemblies
demonstrate the significant uses of energy and materials, and sources of
emissions.
John Gadja, Martha G. VanGeem, and Medgar Marceau, Construction Technology
Laboratories, Inc.

Ecological Urban Dynamics.
An integrated, ecosystem approach to viewing the built environment in terms
of quantitative and qualitative impressions that the structures make on the
community.
Brian Deal, University of Illinois

Project Facilitator Training in Locally-Appropriate Design and Building
Construction methods with natural and other locally-available building
materials, as well as facilitation approaches for work in the field,
including cultural sensitivity, project management
skills, and assessment strategies
Joseph F. Kennedy, Builders Without Borders

12 NOON        Lunch
1:00 P.M.      Technical Session

Community-Built Housing Solution:  A Model Strawbale Home Design
A sustainable model home design and construction process for a grass-roots
community-based tribal housing program using load-bearing strawbale
construction.
David Riley and Sergio Palleroni, Pennsylvania State University

The Rice Hull House
Construction of fire-resistant, super-insulated structures using rice hulls
as loose-fill insulation with framing of steel studs and spacejoists.
Paul A. Olivier, Engineering, Separation & Recycling LLC

Plastered Straw-Bale Construction
This century-old construction technique creates highly-insulated buildings
that are inexpensive, easily contructed, energy-saving, and sustainable.
Bruce King, Ecological Building Network, and John Straube, University of
Waterloo, Canada

2:15 P.M.      COFFEE
2:45 P. M.     SESSION RESUMES

Innovative Cements Evaluation Project
Technologies that use industrial waste as major components of cement mix.
Heather Warkentien, Civil Engineering Research Foundation

The Fibrous Exterior Wall Assembly:  Natural Fiber Biocomposites for the
Sustainable Exterior Envelope
Composite materials that utilize natural fibers as the reinforcing
component within a natural polymer matrix offer economic and architectural
advantages for low-cost exterior envelope components.
John E. Fernandez, Massachusetts Institute of Technology
Use of Treated Wood Structural Systems
Treated wood structural systems used in sustainable building in various
parts of the world are examined and cost comparisons based on various
construction materials, maintenance requirements, and life-cycle analyses
are presented.
Tarun K. Bhatia, U.S. Borax.

5:00 P.M.  Reception

Thursday, October 18, 2001.  Radisson Hotel, Santa Fe, NM

8:30 AM Overview:  Science, Discovery of America and Buildings Old and New
Arun Vohra
9:00 AM        Technical Session

Adobe Construction
The oldest construction material in the world that is still used for modern
houses.
Quentin Wilson, Northern New Mexico Community College

Quick-Fill Wall Systems
Highly insulated walls constructed of natural, manufactured and waste
materials.
Arun Vohra, U.S. Department of Energy, Arthur. H. Rosenfeld, California
Energy Commission, Jay Burch, National Renewable Energy Laboratory, Kenneth
E. Wilkes, Andre. Desjarlais, Achilles Karagiozis and Jan. Kosny, Oak Ridge
National Laboratory, David Jauregui, and Khalid. Sobhan, New Mexico State
University

Earth-Tire Wall System
The Earthship is constructed from used automobile tires filled with
compacted earth in a comprehensive approach to sustainable housing.
Michael Reynolds, Solar Survival

10:10 A.M.     Coffee
10:30 A.M.     Session Resumes

Zero Energy House
Concrete combined with active and passive solar heating and photovoltaics
used in a "whole-building" approach makes a sustainable and durable house
with low energy requirements.
Judy Fosdick, Tierra Concrete Homes

Energy Performance of Insulated Masonry Walls in Residential Construction
Building infiltration levels, insulation levels and location, and thermal
mass effects are investigated in four homes with different insulated
masonry construction and compared with frame-built homes in field tests and
simulation modeling.
Paul Norton, Bob Hendron, and Michael Smith, National Renewable Energy
Laboratory; Paul Reeves, Partnership for Resource Conservation, Ed Hancock,
Mountain Energy Partnership

Pre-Cast Concrete Insulated Foundation Wall Systems - Opportunities,
Deficiencies, and Research
First-hand experience with the installation of these systems and current
efforts to address deficiencies and improve marketability.
Diane Griffiths, Steven Winter Associates

12 NOON        Lunch
1:00 P.M.      Technical Session
Composite Structures
High-tech composite foam sandwich walls.
David Bryant, American Structural Composites

Papercrete Structures
Recycling paper to make building blocks and cast in place structures.
Lex Perry

Sustainable Foundations
Use of flyash to insulate and make pourable foundations and floorslabs.
Bruce Salisbury, Arizona Public Service Company
2:15 P.M.      COFFEE
2:45 P. M.     SESSION RESUMES

Improving Durability of Building Envelopes Through Moisture Control
Modeling
An analytical tool that can be used to design moisture tolerance into
building envelope components.
Andre Desjarlais, Oak Ridge National Laboratory

Building Envelope Technology Roadmap Roundtable
An industry led initiative to develop the U.S. Department of Energy's
vision, key goals, and strategies to help align government resources with
the building industry's high priority needs.
Arun Vohra, U.S. Department of Energy

Speakers Forum
All presenters will participate in an open Q&A Forum

"Catherine Wanek" <blackrange@zianet...> on 07/11/2001 11:48:10 AM