[Ufo]6. 4. 2002 (sobota), 22:22, bolid nad Rakouskem a Nemeckem

temer cerstvy citat Jiriho Borovicky:

Byl to urcite vyznamny bolid, ktery pronikl nizko a vedl
k padu meteoritu. V Ondrejove bylo bohuzel v tu dobu zatazeno,
mame jen zaznam svetelne krivky na radiometru (pres mraky).
Bolid byl ovsem vyfotografovan v Nemecku a mozna i na nektere
nasi stanici. Draha tedy bude znama. Bohuzel to vypada, ze
misto udajneho nalezu meteoritu je od bolidu prilis daleko a
bude to tedy asi falesny poplach.

clanek, ktery nasel Libor Lenza (zminujici ,,nalez``):

 http://www.mojenoviny.cz/temata/veda_a_technika/flash020408.html

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Mon, 08 Apr 2002 09:24:12 +0200 (CEST)
From: Petr Scheirich <Petr.Scheirich@seznam...>
To: Petr Pravec <ppravec@asu....cz>, SMPH@yahoogroups...
Subject: [SMPH] Fwd: {MPML} The end of a small NEA

Zdravim vsechny.
Forwarduju zajimavou zpravu z MPML.

Strucne obsah:
 Philipp Teutsch z Rakouska pozoroval pad neobvykle jasneho bolidu, ktery
ozaril okoli jako behem pozdniho odpoledne. Asi 150 sekund pote prisla
hlasita rana, jako pri vystrelu z dela. Ukaz byl pozorovatelny take z
Italie a jizniho Nemecka. Objekt mohl mit rozmery nekolika metru. John S.
Lewis pise ve sve knize "Rain of iron and ice" ze k takymto padum dochazi
v prumeru 1 az 2 krat do mesice.

Petr

FROM THE MINOR PLANET MAILING LIST, April 2002:

The end of a small Near Earth Asteroid

time: April 6, 2002, 20:22 UT = (22:22 local daylight-saving time)
as observed from: Mils, Western Austria, Europe

Saturday evening I decided to observe some bright galaxies in Ursa Maior
from my backyard observatory. When I was looking at the bright galaxy NGC
3877 near Chi UMa with my 8" SCT, suddenly the field with the galaxy
changed into blazing blue, with a brightness comparable to a clear blue
early afternoon sky.

Alarmed and amazed, I immediately looked up - to see approaching the
zenith the brightest ``meteor'' I have ever seen in my 22 years of
observing. A blazing ball of light much brighter than the full moon, with
a diameter of perhaps 7 degrees and a train of light 40-50 degrees long,
glowing in brilliant streams of mostly bright orange and bright steely
blue color, moved in from nearly due East to West across my zenith.

When I catched it with the naked eye, it was nearly straight up, just
passing my location, lighting our valley like late afternoon! It moved
from zenit to horizon in perhaps 7 seconds and I could see the
snow-covered mountains to the northwest and west brightly lit by this
visitor, really amazingly bright.. It disappeared behind the mountains 20
degrees north of west.

Approximately 150 seconds later there was a single loud boom, like from a
firing cannon. This would translate to approximately 50 km west-north-west
from my site. The air-explosion must have happened very nearly above the
Zugspitze (2962m high), the highest mountain of Germany, which is situated
at the border of Germany and Austria. Except for this extraordinarily
brilliant fireball nothing unusual was noted during the interval 1 hour
before to 1 hour afterwards this spectacular fall.

I would estimate that this very small NEA must have been perhaps a few
meters in diameter and its composition mainly stony, otherwise it wouldn't
have exploded in the air. I wonder what the colors orange and steely blue
mean in terms of chemical composition. Could some minor ingredients of
metals like iron or nickel produce these lively colors?

If I remember correctly, John S. Lewis in his book "Rain of iron and ice"
states that perhaps 1-2 times per month such an air-explosion of a mini-
asteroid with a few meters diameter is to be expected somewhere on earth.
So chances are, some of you might have seen something similar in your
observing careers. How many of you have been blessed with seeing something
similar?  As I learned from the news yesterday and today, this object was
widely seen from northern Italy to southern Germany by hundreds of people
in a cloudless sky.

This was an "observing"-experience I won't forget for all of my life. Even
the great comets Hale-Bopp and Hyakutake pale somewhat in comparison.
When it was dark again, and I had calmed down from the excitement, I
resumed observing galaxies, and - guess what - NGC 3877 looked rather
feeble and inconspicuous in comparison - it all really seems to depend on
perspective..

Kind regards, Philipp

--
Philipp Teutsch