[Strawbale] Strawbale as External Wall Insulation

james james at mansionfamily.plus.com
Sun Sep 6 19:59:23 CEST 2015

I'm continuing to try and find a way to build with bales in Portugal
that will not cost a small fortune, or give difficulty with planners.

I'm still trying to find registered builders who are happy to make a
timber post and beam structure.

In the meantime, it is clear that local builders are pretty handy at
shuttering and putting up the concrete frames we see all over southern
Europe, and these frames pass the necessary structural/siesmic
regulations.  20cm reinforced pillars seem to be about €20 per linear
metre (at least from one quote I saw).

Now, I have read Keven Ledoujet's MPhil thesis and it does seem possible
to use bales outside a 'conventional' structure.

And, I had been thinking about bales on edge, which would give a wall
thickness of about 56cm before finishes.

Two-string bales on the large face (ie strings top and bottom) would
have about 15cm of straw between the string and the edge - is it
reasonable to notch them 10cm to go around the outside of concrete posts?

That yields the same thickness, in effect, but the bale stack is thicker.

Does anyone see a problem with this, if the concrete structure is in the
conditioned space?

I'll end up with 10cm void inside the bales.  Any suggestion on what to
do with it?  Cost is definitely an issue.  Local tijolo is very cheap
and is familiar to plumbers and electricians for placing services - any
other suggestions?

I'm quite keen to try to avoid the usual malarky with noggins etc that
finishing with lime plaster on bales implies.  A possible approach is to
seal the bales and have a service void and finish with Fermacell (I
think Larixhaus does that
(http://www.pmcarchitects.com/blog/homage-to-catalonia-a-pre-fab-straw-bale-passive-house-first-for-the-region/)
but a 10cm void seems excessive.

James