[Strawbale] How uniform are most 2 string bales?

Thomas Dimov dimov at gmx.ch
Sat Sep 5 19:22:10 CEST 2015

hi james

have a look on the way the straw bales are being produced and how they are bound together by two strings. then you will understand, that the two smaller dimensions are defined by the dimensions of the baling machine s canal. the length can be changed and is less stable. when you cut the strings the bale will expand in two directions: the ~35cm and the ~100cm. make sure the direction of the fibres is parallel to the wall to get the better lambda value.

by the way: if you are still interested in the best prefab system on the market :-) i let you know that the zero carbon building element (www.zerocarbon.ch)  has just been presented at ClimateLaunchpad in amsterdam, european largest cleantech business competition. (www.climatelaunchpad.org)

kind regards

Thomas

> Am 05.09.2015 um 12:22 schrieb james <james at mansionfamily.plus.com>:
>
> I believe that, nominally, a 2 string bale will be 'about' 36cm by 'about' 46cm by a length that can perhaps be specified by a baler setting and will be between 0.9 and 1.2m.
>
> Its the 36cm dimension I'm interested in.
>
> How accurately are bales 36cm?
>
> In particular, will they tend to be over and compress easily to a 36cm space (so they can be forced in by hand, rather than needing compression systems)?
>
> Or will they tend to be a bit smaller than that anyway and need some padding?
>
> Thanks

Thomas Dimov
+41 78 6014572