[Strawbale] compressing or not

asbn asbn at baubiologie.at
Tue Mar 11 13:26:45 CET 2014

Dear Jure

The need for compression in the wall is depending on the weight and
pre-compression of the bales.
If your bales are floppy (fairly light and smooth), its better to
compress them.
Alejandro Lopez from Spain told me, that he compressed his bales
before the infill
with a self-built manual strawbale-press, this worked wonderful.

When the bales are good compressed (coming e.g. from a Welger 72 or
higher)
it is not necessary to compress them, when the wall is non-loadbearing.

But there are several methods to wrap these bales around an existing
building:
like loadbearing (with compression-strings)
in a hybrid-construction like CUT (compression with brackets every row)
binding it directly to the wall
or with the Kuba-method (H out of hazelnut-branches)

see: http://www.strawleonardo.eu/best-practice/straw-bale-technique-galleries-wrapping/

So in some of these techniques bales are compressed during wrapping-
process

In any case, a good plaster directly on the bales prevents settling of
the bales afterwards
(due to the connection between straw and the plaster in this sandwich-
construction).

But a compression is not only to prevent settling of the bales,
it is also an easy method to close the gaps between the bales, when
the bales are not in best cubic size.

all the best
Herbert Gruber
asbn - austrian strawbale network