[Strawbale] FASBA: New German Approval for strawbuilding, 5-storey SB- building unveiled

Dirk Scharmer info at wand4.de
Thu Jul 17 09:25:48 CEST 2014

Dear european straw building friends,
I just wanted to say, that we've a new german so called "general"
approval for straw as an insulation material. The main improvement is:
it now allows to plaster directly on the straw (wasn't possible before),
e.g. inside clay/ earth plaster outside lime plaster with hydrophobic
paint. And some further less important changes, e.g. less restrictions
for quality controls now (dimensions, binding, ...). We are able to use
bales from nearby the building site without extra transportation, and by
the way: for small residential building the manufacturer baustroh.de
offers a very easy and inexpensive procedure. The client just calls the
manufacturer, send 2 bales for pretest, if successful order full test.
In addition to cost for the farmer and bale transportation from the
field to site it currently costs 1.000€/ per house to have a fully
legalised building material which allows the client to build
extraordinary sustainable homes. There is no other fully legalised
building material in Germany with such an easy and low cost
certification.

In german language:
http://fasba.de/images//z-23.11-1595%203.6.2014kl.pdf (translation into
english is on the way, if you want to do it by your own, please send
your text to me, that we can offer it on our website)
If you want to read more about our current situation in german:
http://www.fnr.de/de/presse/pressemitteilungen/aktuelle-mitteilungen/aktuelle-nachricht/article/pm-2014-32/

And below you can see the recently unveiled 5-storey/ 1,800 sqm
plastered SB building in Verden Northern Germany (designed by Thomas
Isselhard and me) which will house the "Northern German centre for
sustainable building" (translated title) in future.

Dirk Scharmer - Architect

In de Masch 6
D- 21394 Suedergellersen
Tel.: +49 (0) 4131 727804