[Strawbale] permissible load on load-bearing strawbale

Nikolay Marinov nikvesmar at gmail.com
Sun Jul 13 01:50:54 CEST 2014

Hi everyone,
can I ask does anyone knows what is the allowable load for clay or lime
plastered Load-bearing Strawbale walls ?

The project will take place in Bulgaria, near Shabla, still we do not have
building codes for Load-bearing, so any advice from seismic active regions
will be very welcome. This building is planed to be experimental
educational center for sustainable development and for us this is part of a
great mission and challenge.

According to the calculations of the engineer the expected load from the
green roof to the strawbale wall will be 1720 kg/m /kilograms per linear
meter/ or 16,867 kN/m.

I am attaching some drawings to make it more clear.

This kind of buildings are still not legal according to our building codes
/except the one build from Barbara Jons in Hotnica/, so we want to design
it properly as it should be. We want it to be correct according our own
personal and community building and moral codes.
With your help one day it will be all.

Thank you in advance for your help.

Best regards
Nikolay Marinov, architect