[Strawbale] Would you be willing to help me test new email list software?

RT archilogic at yahoo.ca
Thu Feb 27 16:46:47 CET 2014

Erin;

Thanks for keeping the "original" SB list going and whatever you need to
do with the software is fine with me.

The "other" SB list (SB-r-Us at yahoogroups.com) was created because of a
blackout period when the REPP list was switching software ( or owners or
servers or (??)) and left the subscribers to the then-very-active-list, in
the lurch, with no inkling as to why.

When the REPP list got back up and running it was suggested to the
membership of the the Yahoogroup that the REPP SB list be kept as the
primary means of connecting to the SB community with the Yahoogroup
serving as a back-up (for the times when the REPP list was down) and for
its file-sharing capabilities (ie images and other file attachments ) and
to a lesser extent, where off-topic subjects which might get SB-only
"purists" knickers in a knot, could be shared. (It was suggested that the
Yahoogroup be terminated once the REPP list was back but the membership
chose to keep it going.)

Also, the Global SBN list was created by Wild Bill-bob Christensen as a
forum for "professionals" and other "local" lists (ie Okies, Ontario,
California, European, + others which I can't name at the moment) lists
were also created, further peeling off members into SB-related groups that
did not talk to each other unless messages were intentionally cross-posted
and I think that that splintering-off was detrimental.

I mention this as a long-winded response to Sherwood's suggestion that
perhaps the REPP/Bioenergylists switch over to Google Groups.

The traffic on all of the SB lists has dropped off significantly in the
past few years to the point that all of the traffic on all of the lists
combined is less in one month than there used to be in one day when the
REPP or SB-r-Us list were in their heyday.

If the point of these lists is for the SB community to keep in touch, then
I would venture that maybe it'd be a Good Thing to re-merge all of the
lists back into one.  It seems that SBers aren't as yakkety as they used
to be so the traffic volume from a combined list shouldn't be so onerous
as to overload anyone's capacity to manage.

--
=== * ===
Rob Tom					AOD257

< A r c h i L o g i c  at  Y a h o o  dot  c a  >
(manually winnow the chaff from my edress if you hit "reply")
On Wed, 26 Feb 2014 19:43:09 -0500, Erin Rasmussen <erin at trmiles.com>
wrote:

> Hello members of the Strawbale Buildings email conversation, this is your
> technical person, Erin Rasmussen erin at trmiles.com who  been in the
> background helping to run the list for the past few years.  When the
> Renewable Energy Policy Project (REPP.org) could no longer support the
> list, we volunteered and have been trying to keep things humming along
> in the back
> ground.
>

> So we've got 2 big things coming up for the list - and I'm hoping that
> you  won't mind me testing new mailing list software that will hopefully
> allow me  to address both of them.
>
>  -> First, we've got to switch to email software that supports a
> double-opt-in method of sign up. This is required by international law,
> and
> since we've got the good fortune to have international participation, we
> should be complying with it too.
>

> ->  Second, I'd like try a better spam filter on the list. Currently
> there
> are many messages that you don't see that I manage to remove before you
> read. I'd like to use some newer tools and see if I can't automate some
> of
> that message filtering.
>

> So to that end, I'd like to switch us from Mailman, our current
> software, to
> Dada Mail (with Spam Assassin and Box Trapper to cut down on Spam).   The
> process would be simple. I'd set up the new list, and send out
> invitations
> to you. When you click on the link to accept email from the new list,
> you'll
> get the new messages.
>

> So - what do you think? I'd like to have a conversation about it before I
> make any changes, but I'll need to make changes fairly soon, so I'd
> appreciate your feedback either in reply to this message or in email sent
> directly to me erin at trmiles.com
>

> Thanks for your attention,
>
>  Erin Rasmussen
>
> TR Miles Technical Consultants Inc.   http://www.trmiles.com/