[Strawbale] certification of straw bales (Italy Edilpaglia)

maria angela pucci 3 marpucg at gmail.com
Tue Mar 5 12:49:07 CET 2013

Hi everyone,
For Italy:

1) Is it allowed to build one-family-houses with normal uncertified
straw bales in your country?

yes, Is it allowed.
Local offices, sometimes, cust doubts about straw bales in buildins, but
it depends on their ignorance of unconventional materials and it's easy
to persuade them.
In Italy we can build private buildings with   uncertified materials;
builders, designers, Construction Managers bear full responsibility for it;

  2) Is it allowed to build official buildings (e.g. museums, schools,...)
with non-certified bales?

it depends on local officials. We have to negotiate (to haggle is the
true word)  whenever we want build a public building. Therefore it's
possible that the same project is allowed in a town and isn't allowed in
a close town.

  3) Is it allowed to insulate an existing building (without an official
plan) with non-certified bales in your country?

yes, Is it allowed but if you use uncertified materials you can't have
tax cuts.
n Italy, when we use uncertified materials in official buildings we
haven't legal security.

maria angela pucci -ingegnere
marpucg at gmail.com
www.edilpaglia.it

Message: 1
> 1) Is it allowed to build one-family-houses with normal uncertified straw
> bales in your country?

Yes, in general, although there is at least  on known incident with an
investor who couldn't get the approval.

> 2) Is it allowed to build official buildings (e.g. museums, schools,...)
> with non-certified bales?

No, it isn't. The public buildings have stricter  demands against fire risk
and any building material should be certified in this matter. That's the
biggest problem we've got here at the moment.

> 3) Is it allowed to insulate an existing building (without an official
> plan) with non-certified bales in your country?

Any insulation works should be submitted to local officials in order to get
the approval (because it changes the outline of building). There's no
chance to insulate public buildings (see answer 2), and there shouldn't be
probably any larger obstacles to insulate with straw a private one (I
haven't heard of anyone insulating with straw in Poland yet).

Best regards,
Mariusz Sarnicki

> all the best / thank you for answers:-)
> Herbert Gruber
> -----------------
> asbn - austrian strawbale network
> 3720 Ravelsbach, Baierdorf 6
> Tel. 02958-83640
> asbn at baubiologie.at
> www.baubiologie.at

Mariusz Sarnicki
Stowarzyszenie Inicjatyw Budownictwa Alternatywnego SIBA
www.biohabitat.pl
tel. (0048) 535974321

------------------------------

Message: 2
Date: Tue, 5 Mar 2013 08:06:21 +0100
From: herwig van soom <orcaherwig at skynet.be>
To: Sebastien Hubert <sebastien.hubert at mc2000.be>
Cc: strawbale at amper.ped.muni.cz

We (Belgium)  can use uncertified bales for public buildings, we have to
use than a lambda value of 0.08 W/mK, the maximum total value of an
exterior wall is 0.32W/m?K

Herwig

2013/3/4 Sebastien Hubert <sebastien.hubert at mc2000.be>

>  Hello Herbert,
>
> Here is an answer for belgium :
>
> 1.  We are allowed to build one family houses with normal uncertified
> straw bales.  Altough in the future it will be more difficult because the
> insulating standards are getting better and better.
>
> 2.  I don't know the status for public buildings...
>
> 3.  It is also possible to insulate existing buildings with uncertified
> bales.  The insulating standards for existing houses are lower than those
> for new houses.
>
> Hope this can help you.
>
> Cheers
>
> Sebastien Hubert
> Belgium
>
> On 04/03/13 20:11, asbn wrote:
>
> Dear Balers in Europe
>
>  As we have troubles with building officials (esp. in Lower Austria), who
> want only certified building-balles in buildings,
> even when you insulate a roof or ceiling to a roof in an existing building
> (without any funding or banque-credits),
> I would like to know, what the actual situation is in your country:
>
>  So I have only 3 short questions (your answer would help me very much):
>
>  1) Is it allowed to build one-family-houses with normal uncertified
> straw bales in your country?
>
>  2) Is it allowed to build official buildings (e.g. museums, schools,...)
> with non-certified bales?
>
>  3) Is it allowed to insulate an existing building (without an official
> plan) with non-certified bales in your country?
>
>    all the best / thank you for answers:-)
>       Herbert Gruber
> -----------------
> asbn - austrian strawbale network
> 3720 Ravelsbach, Baierdorf 6
> Tel. 02958-83640
> asbn at baubiologie.at
> www.baubiologie.at

------------------------------

Message: 3
Date: Tue, 5 Mar 2013 10:54:21 +0100
From: asbn <asbn at baubiologie.at>
To: strawbale at amper.ped.muni.cz
	DelSp="yes"

Hi to all balers outside

A great THANK YOU for your answers, it helps a lot!

As I thought (and feared), the certification in a country
* gives safety to carpenters (if they use these certified bales) and
helps them with their responsibility.
* but seems to start a parallel process, that uncertified bales will  be
forbidden with the argument,
     that there are certified bales available on the market (even when
they are not available).

In Austria we have a situation now, where only skilled builders (and
that means with a special education and qualification)
are allowed to take responsibility for a building, and even if I want
my own responsibility,
I cannot take it as a self-builder without these special
qualifications, even for a small experimental building.
This situation stops innovation, as only prooven and tested techniques
(and materials) are allowed.

I agree, that this supports "industry" and bigger companies, which are
able to afford tests and certification processes.
And in long terms it stops all self-builders from building on the  basis
of experience, long known knowledge and tradition.

I personally think therefore, that establishing a national building
code - like in France - is the much better way as a certification  process.
Although I know, that it is much more work and needs much more effort
than a (simple) test and quality management.

And my personal recommendation: If you think about a certification in
your country, nevertheless (which is not my first choice),
do it like FASBA in Germany or (with restriction) the GrAT in Austria  do,
try to find a non-profit organisation, which makes a mobile
certification on bales of your choice, independently from the season  of
the year,
otherwise you always depend on the amounts of certified straw bales, a
company has stored.

yours sincerely
Herbert
asbn at baubiologie.at
www.baubiologie.at

End of Strawbale Digest, Vol 85, Issue 6