[Strawbale] certification of straw bales

Dave Howorth dave at howorth.org.uk
Mon Mar 4 22:56:01 CET 2013

In the UK, the answer to Q1 is definitely yes.

Since there is no concept of a certified bale, and no special rules for
bale buildings, I would expect that the answer to Q2 & Q3 is also yes,
but I don't know from personal experience.

Also, what exactly is a 'public building', in the sense of somehow
affecting building regulations?

On Mon, 2013-03-04 at 21:41 +0100, asbn wrote:
> Great, what a paradise:-)
> I always thought, Europe tends to have a unique building-law...

I certainly hope not! And I certainly hope that the, IMHO misguided,
folks pushing for certification and unification fail in their
endeavours. If I choose to use a product certified by the Passivhaus
Institute, for example, that is one thing. If I were forced to choose a
product mandated by the lowest-common-denominator of all European
political systems and multinational corporations, that would be quite

Regards, Dave

More information about the Strawbale mailing list