[Strawbale] Radiating earth

Derek Roff derek at unm.edu
Thu Jun 21 21:47:37 CEST 2012

[Derek says] Max mailed me these comments and links off line, and consented to allowing me to share them here:

It was discussed in the 'Talking Natural Homes' FB group, and Andre
Daniel-'Strawnsheim' (April 18 at 9:53pm ) concluded this:
"Awww alright I justed checked the website of the Helmholtz Institute
in Munich. They were the ones who conducted the study and my guess is
that those Spiegel nuts just got the scientific background completely
wrong. They are studying the co...nsequences of thoron inhalation in
indoor spaces. And since Thoron is basically a byproduct of dispersing
radon.....well I'm guessing they were talking about radon problems
we're all already aware of....journalism.....what can you say"
http://www.facebook.com/groups/naturalhomes/441673649181214/

In addition you may want to read in this Linked in group for SB
professionals about electro signals in SB/earth houses:
http://www.linkedin.com/groupItem?view=&gid=2754991&type=member&item=109742753&qid=9af01de0-7224-469d-961d-a7831f63feba&trk=group_most_popular-0-b-ttl&goback=.gde_2754991_member_109742753.gmp_2754991

Cheers,
Max Vittrup Jensen
www.jen-sen.cz - www.permamax.blogspot.com - www.facebook.com/permalotbook

? Just as Sara I'm from Denmark, and having attended 3 International
'Lehm' conferences and been to the European museum of earth building
near Ganzlin, it's my clear impression that quite a fair amount of old
German buildings have earth bricks in them, especially the 'fach-werk
hausen' (pardon my grammar; I believe it's 'Tudor style' houses in
English?

Perhaps this study would have your interest, Tilman?

From Mia Hesselkjær on 'Talking Natural Homes FB group':
I found a paper from 05 in english, treating more or less the same
problem. High radon and thoron levels on what they called 'raw clay'
which as I can read from the limited information, are probably old
wattle and daub houses, but which sho...ws values similar to brick and
masonry blocks for adobe and huge differences on the range of values
on bricks...
Why the difference between the 'dried' and the other dry clay? Could
it be a matter of geology between the regions with preserved old
houses and the regions where buildings in adobe are possible?

http://books.google.dk/books?id=i04pN-SGU3wC&pg=PA235&lpg=PA235&dq=thoron+clay+building&source=bl&ots=Nin9Gqbt1k&sig=rL9hVeq3uBrJFHhRlsJ_bFpqh9c&hl=da&sa=X&ei=5y6QT5XwBdGe-QaOg_ykBA&ved=0CB4Q6AEwAA#v=onepage&q=thoron%20clay%20building&f=false

Cheers,
Max