[Strawbale] Big bale insulation values (Derived from 'Repair work on danish strawbale house')

Dave Howorth dave at howorth....uk
Wed Oct 5 22:15:14 CEST 2011

I don't know about the insulation value. I suspect a test would be the
only way to be sure.

I think the condensation question is a 'red herring'. It doesn't matter
how thick the wall is, if it's warm inside and cold outside there will
be a condensation point in the wall. There is one inside a conventional
'small' bale wall, but it isn't a problem.

There are three ways to stop that being a problem. The simplest way is
to build from some material that doesn't really care, such as brick.
Another way is to stop the water vapour entering the wall by adding a
vapour barrier on the inside of the wall; that's what's usually done
with timber frame houses.

The third way is to make a 'breathable' wall where the vapour can enter
the wall and can even condense in the wall, but is also able to emerge
from the wall as either a liquid (by capillary action) or a gas (by
diffusion). That's what happens in a straw bale wall. You can also build
timber frame like that as well, by using so-called 'warm' construction,
where the condensation occurs in external insulation.

Cheers, Dave