[Strawbale] Hand operated baler

Caï van Hoboken cavnhbkn3 at gmail...
Sun Mar 27 17:43:58 CEST 2011

Hi Thomas,
This press we constructed at ecotopia 1999 in Romania. We had over 200
strawbales with metalwire strings that had nearly no compression at all,
real fluffy or sponge like.
The tamper is connected to a y- shaped branch we specially selected from the
forrest.It  embraces  a pinetree and provides the pivotting point for this
lever-beam that presses the tamper onto the lid of the press.
We had to connnect the tamper semie hinged as well because the angle between
the lid and tamper changes during the pressing process.
The two light coloured planks fixed to the box are also fixed to the
pinetree and keep the box in place.
We put strings around the bales before putting them into the box , we could
reach these strings through the spacing between the planks the box was made
of. We could enhance the pressure by inviting participants with a higher
bodyweight to sit in the sling.
It took the crew about two weeks to repress all the bales but that was
mainly because the metalwire was hard to tie.
Good luck,
Caï