[Strawbale] Plaster on old stone wall

permacultura at libero... permacultura at libero...
Wed Mar 23 08:31:38 CET 2011

I always prefer to wet the wall before plastering because of the nature of
clay: clay particles tend to penetrate better in the crevices of rocks or other
materials when you hydrate the surface.
I usually do not use any net, but depend on the quality of clay as well. It
happened to me using commercial clay plaster they did not have the bonding
capacity needed to hang on the wall; very low quality. My clay is very sticky
and I do not need any net. I often use jute net  (in between II and finishing
coat) when I am not sure of the quality of the mix or the application (i.e.
during courses). It really prevent cracking.
I always prefer to do tests to see the adhesive strength, resistance to
breakage etc. before use a plaster I do not know.
cheers
Stefano Soldati

skype: stefanosoldati
www.laboa.org