[Strawbale] earthen floor sealer in Haiti ( GSBN Digest, Vol 35, Issue 15)

Juliane Derry julianederry at hotmail...
Mon Mar 21 11:16:21 CET 2011

Hello!
Just wanted to make sure you are aware of the difference between linseed oil, and flaxseed oil.
Flaxseed oil is edible, while oil marked linseed oil is usually not food grade. Also, there is a difference between
raw linseed oil and boiled linseed oil. "Boiled linseed oil" is no longer actually boiled, but has added
chemicals/dryers which make it dry quicker, and if reapplied and buffed, form somewhat of a film finish.
If
 you don't want to use thinners which emit VOCs, then don't thin your
oil. If you apply thin layers it will soak up and dry....eventually.
Also,
 about the oil being food for critters; it polymerizes and at that time
it is no longer wanted as food...especially not when
its bound to an earthen floor :)
When it comes to the linseed oil staying tacky without exposure to warmth or sunshine: it is true that the
temp matters, it needs to be room temp. But, you also have to make sure that you wipe off excess oil,
or pooling. If you soak a surface, come back after an hour and rub the excess off. Then, the next day, if you rub
with a more abrasive cloth, it should not have that problem. I'm guessing you could do this with a buffer pad/floor shiner
on the large floor surface.
We use linseed oil for many things here in Norway, and unlike my Canadian "weather-brother", I would recommend
using linseed oil, as I have seen beautiful results!

Juliane Derry
Furniture Restorer and Conservator
Oslo, Norway