[Strawbale] Alternative tightening materials

Jan Hollan jhollan at amper....muni.cz
Sun Mar 6 23:13:09 CET 2011

Sara,

clay plaster as a good and reparable airtight layer can be connected to
wooden parts (window frames, beamers penetrating the wall) by felt strips
from flax filled with clay -- as I remember, this is the way Roland
Meingast used in his natur & lehm Lehm-Passivhaus Bürogebäude (Tattendorf/
NÖ), see http://lehm.at/?591

Otherwise, a vapour barrier made using any polyethylene foil (an old used
one suffices) might be another reasonable element, provided it can be
employed within the construction and fixed mechanically there. There is no
advantage letting the vapour diffuse from interior to those parts of the
construction which become cold in winter.

For green roofs lying on straw, a good aluminium-covered vapour barrier
beneath the straw is a must, as no relevant moisture from the interior can
diffuse through the roof membrane below the soil -- it has to diffuse to
the walls instead and away to exterior from them. We do have such an
aluminium-covered PE foil on the dormitory part of the Hostetin Centre in
Czechia.

(The only possible advantage of a construction without a vapour barrier
near to the interior warm side of the construction might be for a bad,
damaged wet construction in winter, in case of a non-inhabited but
_heated_and_ventilated_ building which has no internal sources of vapour
-- I doubt that such cases exist in good building practice.)

best regards,
  Jenik

                              Jan Hollan, Ph.D.
                                 CzechGlobe

 			           home:
Lipová 19, 602 00 Brno                              +420 5 43 23 90 96

              volunteer of the Ecological Institute Veronica
Panská 9, 602 00 Brno, Czechia                  http://www.veronica.cz

e-mail: hollan at ped....cz              http://amper.ped.muni.cz/jenik