[Strawbale] water supply

Enn Veesalu enn.veesalu at hariduskeskus...
Thu Jul 7 21:44:07 CEST 2011

Hello!
In my opinion is not problem when pipes are in the exterior wall even they
have thermal isolation around the pipes.
Straw bale has not worse thermal resistance then other building materials.
Conductance is 0,04-0,06 W/m2K, it depends how tight the bale is. This is
good parameter.
<<If cold winter and the home is unheated while the occupants are away for a
day or two...>>
You can't leave and deprived of heating anyway. In Estonia is same climate
her.
No matter where pipes are in exterior or interior wall.

Enn Veesalu
enn.veesalu at hariduskeskus...

-----Original Message-----
From: strawbale-bounces at amper....muni.cz
[mailto:strawbale-bounces at amper....muni.cz] On Behalf Of RT
Sent: Thursday, July 07, 2011 9:23 PM
To: European strawbale building discussions
Cc: SB Yahoos
Subject: Re: [Strawbale] water supply

On Thu, 07 Jul 2011 04:18:58 -0400,
  Nikolay Marinov <nikvesmar at gmail...> wrote:

> I would like to ask you are there any specific requirements for
> installing water pipes in straw bale walls.

> Thermal insulation around the pipes for
> sure to prevent condensation, but is it enough to protect the straw?

Niki;

I would say "Just don't" -- don't put water supply pipes in the exterior
walls.

I don't know where you are located so I have no idea of how cold it may
get it your area but if there is any risk at all that some portion of the
supply will be subject to freezing (ie an extremely cold winter and the
home is unheated while the occupants are away for a day or two ... or
sloppy detailing (or rodents) creates a thermal bridge through the straw
allowing cold to get at some portion of the pipes) ... a burst pipe (or
more likely, a fitting) due to frost expansion would result in a horrible
mess in the walls.

That's just one of the many possible scenarios that could result in a
plumbing leak.

Plumbing needs to remain easily accessible.

If the layout of the plan requires that there be supply lines in the
exterior walls, I would venture that the plan could probably benefit from
a revision, moving fixtures to an interior partition.

If supply lines or drain pipes absolutely need to be located on exterior
walls, then I would suggest putting them (and electrical lines too) in a
service chase constructed on the inside of the plaster air barrier thereby
eliminating any chance of air leaks due to penetrations for services.

This could be accomplished as easily as erecting a counter-height stud
wall (using 38 x 64 mm or even 38 x 38 mm studs) against the inside
plaster and clipping demountable access panels to the surface of the studs.

--
=== * ===
Rob Tom

Send all messages to: