[Strawbale] European Tehnical Approval of strawbale as aconstruction product

Brian Waite brian at brianwaite....uk
Sun Dec 18 20:06:42 CET 2011

My heart is with Donald because rules can only be written around what is
known so, by definition, they bar anything new. One could call him
unreasonable but a reasonable man adapts himself to the world around him
whereas an unreasonable man tries to adapt the world to himself. Therefore
all progress depends upon the unreasonable man - so we need more Donalds.
In the UK certain people (with a vested interest) have an unhealthy appetite
for excessive regulation and nannying but, as far as building regulation is
concerned, we do have the option to employ an independent building control.
This is not a "get out of jail free card" because they have their careers on
the line but it does mean one can find a more sympathetic inspector.
This is what I had to do after my local building control refused to have
anything to do with strawbale building (they are convinced my stawbalehouse
will spontaneously combust at any moment). The only touble I have is that my
building control is 350 miles away!
all the best to everyone for the festive season
Brian
www.strawbalehouse.co.uk - sorry website is out of date but the house is now
finished.