[Strawbale] Air tightness and earth plastering

Andrew Morrison Andrew at StrawBale...
Thu Apr 21 22:58:50 CEST 2011

Thanks Seb. One example that I think will tell you more about the blower
test result is a house in Ottawa that I worked on. We did a house and a
separate workshop. The house was completely plastered (interior with finish
coat) and exterior (I guess this is what we are now calling render) with
finish coat. The workshop had nothing on the straw interior and only a
scratch coat on the exterior. Even though both buildings were on the same
heating systems, each specifically designed for the space they heated, the
workshop would NEVER warm up whereas the house was warm right away. Now that
the render/plaster is complete on the workshop, it is heated perfectly.
That's how big a difference the lime (in this case) made.

Andrew