[Strawbale] moisture

Dave Howorth dave at howorth....uk
Tue Apr 12 23:36:15 CEST 2011

On Tue, 2011-04-12 at 09:17 +0300, jonas kacerauskas wrote:
> Hello again dear friends,
> I want to specify one important moment for all of us: all the time
> from different sources i was achieved information that lime plaster is
> more "breathable" than clay plaster, whats why i was tought to put
> clay plaster on interior and lime on exterior..the last time i saw
> this in UK in the library built by Amazonails...so i am very suprised
> about Andrew information...
> best regards:)

My understanding is that the vapour permeability of clay is somewhat
greater than that of lime. So I'm surprised that you found the contrary
in Amazonails' library. Do you remember the reference?

There's a table in this document
<http://www.greensteps.co.uk/tmp/assets/1163178050906.pdf>

One thing to be careful of is that the permeability for liquid water is
different to the permeability for water vapour. For liquid water, lime
is sometimes added to clay to increase permeability (as a field
dressing, for example). But the discussion here is about vapour
permeability.

Cheers, Dave