[Strawbale] moisture

Derek Roff derek at unm...
Fri Apr 8 19:43:05 CEST 2011

I agree with Andrew, that the relative permeability of the interior and
exterior plasters is an important consideration in very damp situations
like saunas and bathrooms.  I'd like to add that very careful
construction detailing is probably even more important.  Research by
the Canadian Mortgage and Housing Corporation (CMHC), an agency of the
Canadian government, showed that having a continuous air barrier was
very necessary to avoid moisture problems within the walls, regardless
of construction method.

Tiny cracks, holes, and seams that allow air movement into the walls
will transport a lot of moisture with them; that moisture will be
concentrated at a few spots, and condensation within the wall is very
likely.  This can easily cause mold and other microbial bale decay.  A
small break in the air barrier may transport more moisture into the
wall than the diffusion through several square meters of plaster.

Build carefully, and if possible, check for air gaps and leaks before
putting the sauna or bathroom into service.

Derelict

Derek Roff
Language Learning Center
Ortega Hall 129, MSC03-2100
University of New Mexico
Albuquerque, NM 87131-0001
505/277-7368, fax 505/277-3885
Internet: derek at unm...

--On Friday, April 8, 2011 10:02 AM -0700 Andrew Morrison