[Strawbale] moisture

Andrew Morrison Andrew at StrawBale...
Fri Apr 8 19:02:54 CEST 2011

Hi Niki and Jonas. I would be careful using a material like clay (earthen
plaster) on an interior surface and lime on the exterior. Keep in mind that
clay allows for more movement of vapor (is more "breathable") than lime.
This means that one can transport say 1 measure of vapor into a bale wall
through the clay plaster while only allowing for .75 measure to move out
through the lime in the same time period. This means that excess moisture
can get stuck in the bales.

I have a wet sauna here in the states made of straw bale walls. I used lime
plaster on both sides of the walls with a lime paint on the interior. After
a sauna is completed, we open all of the ventilation ports and through an
extra log or two into the fire. This drives the moisture through the vents
and walls and dries things out with the dry heat of the fire. It's very
successful.

Andrew

On Wed, Apr 6, 2011 at 8:46 AM, jonas kacerauskas <
jonaskacerauskas at gmail...> wrote:

> Hello Nikolay,
> Here in Lithuania 4 years ago we have built straw bale bathhouse (like
> sauna, just with alot of moisture - we call it russian sauna), where we use
> simple clay plaster about 3 cm. on interior wall and from the incident
> water protect with wooden plankets (there is natural ventilation inside). On
> exterior we did lime plaster - till now everything works fine. tadelact is
> quite expensive way and not needed way to deal with it. As we saw its
> enougth just clay plaster to deal with humidity and ussual you need to
> protect just several places from the direct water and were are a lot of ways
> to do it:)
> best regards
>
> 2011/4/6 Nikolay Marinov <nikvesmar at gmail...>
>
>> Hi everyone,
>> I would like to ask you for advice and share your experience about
>> preventing moisture, penetrating into SB walls from bathroom, and other
>> spaces with high humidity level.
>> What kind of layers and finishes do you prefer to protect your wall if not
>> using conventional waterproof materials.
>> I know few techniques as: Tadelakt (good water barrier but time
>> consuming); Double skin wall with ventilated space between,glass on the
>> wall, but it would be nice to share a trusted and working in time method
>> that builders and designers like you prefer as solution.
>>
>> Thank you in advance for you opinion.
>>
>> Have a nice spring sun.
>> Niki

Andrew Morrison
Consultant, Teacher, Inspiring Change

Learn the Secrets to Successful Home Construction:
www.BeYourOwnContractorTraining.com<http://www.beyourowncontractortraining.com/>
Get Your Straw Bale Construction Questions Answered at:
www.StrawBale.com <http://www.strawbale.com/>
Sign Up For a Seven Day Straw Bale Construction Workshop Near You at:
www.StrawBaleWorkshops.com <http://www.strawbaleworkshops.com/>
Work Directly With Me at:
www.StrawBaleConsulting.com <http://www.strawbaleconsulting.com/>

Follow Me on Twitter: AStrawBaleTeach