[Strawbale] Slaked lime

Derek Roff derek at unm...
Wed Apr 6 20:05:06 CEST 2011

Lime terminology is confusing and inconsistent at times.  The word
"lime" is particularly ambiguous, since it is applied to every stage
of the plaster making process, and also to various things outside that
process.

For me, slaked lime means calcium hydroxide.  To make lime, limestone,
whose chief ingredient is calcium carbonate, is quarried, ground, and
heated in a kiln or pit.  Quicklime, from the lime kiln, is mostly
calcium oxide.  The slaking process reacts quicklime with water, to
produce slaked lime, mostly calcium hydroxide.  As lime plaster cures
on the wall, it changes to calcium carbonate.  So one could argue that
slaked lime is the only kind of lime that is useful for plastering.

Of course there are always impurities and other minerals in the mix
that affect the performance of the plaster, both in terms of both ease
of application and in how well it performs on the wall.  Hydraulic
lime is calcium hydroxide with enough iron, silicon, phosphorous,
aluminum, magnesium, and other minerals, that it will set up under
water.  Some people like plastering with hydraulic lime, some don't.

Perhaps I am missing the essence of your question, Jure.  In general,
getting the best, purest, freshest, driest slaked lime will give the
best results.  The minerals in the limestone used to make the slaked
lime can be significant.  British plasterers in particular like lime
that is very high in calcium.  This may be hard to find in other
places.  A large proportion of magnesium is common in many sources for
lime (sometimes called "dolomitic lime").  Limes in Italy and the USA
are often high in magnesium, and some plasterers prefer to work with
these dolomitic limes.

Magnesium and calcium react at different speeds in a simple lime kiln,
which can result in overburnt or underburnt components in the slaked
lime.  These can cause problems such as spalling- bits of plaster
spontaneously coming off the wall.  Slaked lime sold as type S in
North America (and Australia?) uses a more complex process in
production, which can reduce the underburn/overburn problem.  Soaking
slaked lime in water for months or years (perhaps mixing in sand to
make lime putty) can help correct some lime deficiencies, and improve
the working properties of the lime plaster.  John Glassford of
Australia says that he can get good bagged type S lime in his area.
He can mix it with water and sand, and use it the same day.  He
reports little or no improvement with extended soaking.  People in
other places report that extended soaking of the lime available in
those areas can help a great deal.

Does any of this address your question?

Derelict

Derek Roff