[Strawbale] Post and Beam

asbn asbn at baubiologie...
Mon Sep 13 18:14:04 CEST 2010

An architect (in Austria) normally makes the design, floor-plans,
(ecological and building-physical) material-decisions and finds the
craftsmen doing the job well at a defined price.
Normally the software used is archicad or autocad (simpler).

A carpentry makes the wood-detailing, setting of the beams, walls, roof and
all this stuff ­ so I think, that is what you are interested in.
There is no such big difference in making a post & beam-construction filled
with sheepwool, cellulose or strawbale (even with fibreglass).
The best software for doing this is Dietrich's (3D too).

The difference between a carpenter/architect, who is able to build
strawbale-houses lies in his knowledge about ecological building-materials
and there you may are right. In some countries its hard to find a carpenter
which is used to build with ecological materials, with clayplaster or
clayboards, who knows about the importance of Sd-values, air- and
windproofness and so on.

But if you look for carpenters, who still built passive- or at least low
energy houses and you see that they work with ecological materials and not
with EPS, you're on the right way.

A few days ago I got a call by slowenian carpenter Vladimir Glavica, who
worked a lot in Austria and wants to built strawbale-houses in SLO.
Here is the contact:
OPTIMA GLAVICA d.o.o, e-mail: info at optima-hisa..., http: www.optima-hisa.si

Maybe you can contact him...

Mit lieben Grüßen
Herbert Gruber
--
asbn - austrian strawbale network
Österreichisches Netzwerk für Strohballenbau

> [...]
> work it all out myself.
>
> Any suggestions welcome,
>
> Kind regards,
>
> Michel.
>

> On 13 sep 2010, at 16:57, paul paul wrote:
>
>> Just to help with responses, as I understand it from reading the posts the
>> inquieries are about "post and beam"  SB building, not just non-load bearing
>> structures.  In which case the options are much more limited to either
>> putting the bales inside the p&b structure, on the outside, or inbetween the
>> posts.  There is also the portal frame system which is very well adapted for
>> strawbale construction but is not post and beam.
>>
>> There are some very good books out now that describe the different post and
>> beam methods of SB building, check Amazon etc.
>>
>>  I would avoid if possible using an architect that is unfamiliar with this
>> process unless they are very open and willing to do a lot of reasearch BEFORE
>> building your house, and willing to work in collaberation with you or others
>> for advice/research. Not all architects are that minded., prefering to take
>> the reigns and do it how they feel it should be done regardless.
>>
>> good luck, let us know how you get on. I will try and post some titles of
>> good books to get you started, or maybe others on this list can do likewise.
>>
>> Paul Sheraton
>>
>>> Date: Mon, 13 Sep 2010 15:31:41 +0200
>>> From: asbn at baubiologie...
>>> To: strawbale at amper....muni.cz
>>> Subject: Re: [Strawbale] Post and Beam
>>>
>>> Dear Jure, Michel and all other non-loadberaing builders
>>>
>>> In my workshops I have listed 7 (8) different non-loadbearing-systems, which
>>> are used in Austria and  as far as I know  in Europe:
>>>
>>> 1) exterior strawbale-wall with direct plaster on the outside, construction
>>> inside
>>> typical example:
>>> http://www.baubiologie.at/europe/austria/austria.html?id=280
>>>
>>> 2) system S-house, which is nearly 1) but with big bales on the outside and
>>> a ventilated wooden facade, fixed with special screws
>>> http://www.baubiologie.at/europe/austria/austria.html?id=282
>>>
>>> 3) interior strawbale-wall (normally directly plastered on the inside) with
>>> an outside construction (wood or plaster on plaster-boards)
>>>
>>> 4) system GREB (France), as can be seen detailed on french websites
>>>
>>> 5) CST-system (Cellule Sous Tensions) by Tom Rijven, as is described in his
>>> book (Between Earth and Straw) and on his website
>>>
>>> 6) StrohTec-system, which we established in 1999 and was built in Austria
>>> and Germany more than 100times the last ten years in variations, a classical
>>> infill-system, strawbales between posts, covered with structural boards or
>>> diagonal wood on both sides of the posts/beams
>>> typical example:
>>> http://www.baubiologie.at/europe/austria/austria.html?id=120
>>> or
>>> http://www.baubiologie.at/europe/austria/austria.html?id=268
>>>
>>> 7) a new modular system called system|haus|bau, which we developed last year
>>> or