[Strawbale] results of sb houses across europe pls

Sebastien Hubert sebastien.hubert at mc2000...
Mon Sep 6 20:04:52 CEST 2010

Hello,

You are right...

Let's check it with the Mu and Sd value.

If you take the document from the french companions website on this link :
https://docs.google.com/leaf?id=0B-JXZwQKm5TXOTYwMDhlZjEtOGVmNC00YzVhLWJiMWItMjFjMjVmYWVjZWRh&hl=fr
take : Mémento - Construction en paille V1.1.pdf

It's in french ;-)

If we take this document we have (perhaps somebody could confirm the Mu
values.  It's sometimes difficult to find the right one) :
                            Mu        thickness      Sd
earth render            6          0.05            0.3
agepan                12.5        0.016            0.2
lime                        12        0.02            0.24

The most important value is Sd.  This is the value we have to compare.

We see that with a earth render of 5 cm, the Sd value is 0.3  (5cm of
earth render is equivalent to 30cm of air)
Sd of agepan is equal to 0.2.  A 16mm agepan plate is more open than a
5cm earth render.

The document of the companion recommend that Sd of exterieur material
should be higher than Sd of the interior material or  Sd ext smaller
than 1.  This is the case.

16mm Agepan is equivalent to 17mm lime render.  I think in pratice the
lime render is often thicker than the earth render.  It is anyway
working and give no problem.

I don't think Agepan will be a problem.

By the way the straw bales are able to store some moisture.  And the
moisture spread all over the straw bales not only in one point.  This
behavior will help to prevent condensation at the outside even if the
exterior material is more closed than interior material.

This is similar to flat roof insulated with cellulose.  Although the
exterior membrane is completly closed, this is working fine.

All comments are welcome on this really interesting subject.

Cheers

Seb

Henk Van Aelst wrote:
> Ok,
>
> But I mean vapour tightness, because that is something else. Strawbale
> building with plastering is vapour open and air tight. What if vapour
> condenses between Agepan and strawbale?
>
> Henk
>
> ECOLOGISCH  ARCHITECTENBUREAU  HENK VAN AELST  BVBA
>
> Henk Van Aelst
> TF 0032 / 15 22 51 43
> henk at henkvanaelst...
> Hertstraat 52