[Strawbale] Strawbale position

Andrew Morrison Andrew at StrawBale...
Tue Oct 12 21:08:20 CEST 2010

Lots to comment on here and I decided to take my comments back to my
blog<http://www.strawbale.com/top-10-no-bales-on-edge>(
http://www.strawbale.com/top-10-no-bales-on-edge) rather than continue with
long back and forth posts both here and there. I hope you will take a moment
to read my response to Derek's email. Clearly we disagree, which is fine. I
hope you will consider both points of view before you make any decisions on
your own projects.

Andrew

On Tue, Oct 12, 2010 at 11:25 AM, Derek Roff <derek at unm...> wrote:

> I agree with Andrew that the research on R-Value of flat vs. on-edge is
> not totally rigorous, yet tends to indicate similar total R-value for a
> bale in either position (meaning higher R-value per inch/mm for bales
> on edge).  I have doubts about the general applicability of the
> research, because the straw orientation in the bales that I have worked
> with is not terribly consistent.  As Andrew mentions, it depends in
> part on the baler.
>
> If your climate isn't totally extreme, minor R-value differences
> between bales don't matter.  If your climate is extreme, consider using
> jumbo bales.  Usually, it makes sense to put your energy into good
> design, good detailing, and good roof insulation.  Whether flat or
> on-edge, strawbale walls give enough insulation, that other aspects of
> the building have much more impact on energy conservation than the
> minor differences in the different well-built strawbale walls might.
>
> On the other hand, I disagree with Andrew on the validity of stacking
> bales on edge.  I like it.  I note that many of the top builders, such
> as Bill and Athena Steen, use or prefer on-edge stacking.  Both methods
> work fine, in my opinion.  Each has different advantages and
> challenges.  Here's my take on Andrew's 10 Reasons to Never Stack Your
> Bales on Edge.  I will list Andrew's reason text in full, and then my
> response.
>
> 1.  Strings on the exposed face mean no notching around posts and thus
> a thermal break at each post.
>
> I agree that the strings are exposed, which makes notching difficult.
> I'm not a fan of notching, with bales flat or on edge, although it
> makes sense in some designs.  It is disingenuous to say that no
> notching causes "a thermal break at each post".  It would be foolish to
> design a thermal bridge (not "break") into your wall at every post
> ("thermal break" usually indicates something that stops heat flow; a
> "thermal bridge" allows it).  Common methods for avoiding a thermal
> bridge include putting the posts fully inside the building envelope,
> fully outside, or insulating behind the posts with straw flakes or
> other insulation material.  Or building Nebraska-style loadbearing
> designs.  Each option has pluses and minuses.
>
> 2. Bales are not sturdy. If you throw a bale off the stack it will land
> on the flat 99 out of 100 times, not on edge.
>
> All testing shows that bales are plenty sturdy in either orientation.
> Jeff Rupert's University of Colorado testing shows that bales on edge
> were substantially stronger than bales laid flat, in handling extreme
> loads (p.79, Design of Straw Bale Buildings: The State of the Art,
> Bruce King, et al, 2006).  However, the differences are not relevant to
> building, because bales are strong enough in either orientation, wall
> loads on a wall will be carried by the plaster skins, in any case.  Or
> by the posts, if the building isn't loadbearing.  I don't know if
> [...]

Andrew Morrison
Consultant, Teacher, Inspiring Change

Learn How to Save Thousands of Dollars by Being Your Own Contractor at:
www.BYOCTraining.com
Get Your Straw Bale Construction Questions Answered at:
www.StrawBale.com
Sign Up For a Seven Day Straw Bale Construction Workshop Near You at:
www.StrawBaleWorkshops.com
Work Directly With Me at:
www.StrawBaleConsulting.com

Follow Me on Twitter: AStrawBaleTeach