[Strawbale] Strawbale position

Sport Hotel, Jure Pozar jure.pozar at gmail...
Tue Oct 12 12:57:05 CEST 2010

  Dear all,

I am in the phase of designing our straw bale house and I have heard
that if you lay the straw bale  horizontaly it has the same isolation
conductivity as if laid vertical. Lets presume the bales´ dimension is
45 x 35 x 100 cm which would mean that laid horizontaly the strawbale
wall would be 45 cm and verticaly would be 35 cm (the isolation at this
second option is supposed to be better due to straws which are in
vertical position). Does anybody know of tests performed and published
of this particulat subject. If this is true you need much less
strawbales to built your house. I am of course talking about post & beam
method. Probably this would present a problem at loadbearing method.
Does anybody know of any difficulties when building post & beam and
bales put vertical?

I would appreciate any answer

Regards,

Jure Poz(ar