[Strawbale] 1. Re: Europe's largest strawbale building (Sport Hotel, Jure Pozar)

RT ArchiLogic at yahoo...
Mon Nov 29 20:13:50 CET 2010

On Fri, 26 Nov 2010 05:45:16 -0500, Sport Hotel, Jure Pozar
<jure.pozar at gmail...> wrote:

> Dear Herbert and others,
>
>  From what you wrote I am not 100% wrong like Bane wrote.

I'm coming into the tail end of this discussion so I've missed much of
what has already been said.

I doubt that anyone is ever "100% wrong" .
Come to think of it, I suspect that very few, if any people are 100%
correct either for that matter.

But enough chit-chat.

I've only had a quick look at 2 of the PDF files that were attached to
Jure's message of Nov 26.
A couple of comments:

On the drawing "Aksonometrija2"

Assuming that the view from the southwest... if the exterior second level
framing is to eventually have some decking installed, that decking looks
like it will severely limit the amount of winter sunlight that might
otherwise enter the large glazed openings (patio doors ?) at the first
floor level.

Also the protrusion at the centre of the building on the south elevation
looks like it might prevent access to all-important morning sun at the
patio door and upper storey window on the west side of the south elevation.

If the locale receives snow in winter, there will likely be significant
snow accumulations on those south-side upper storey decks and they would
have the same potential to create problems with snow melt wetting the
adjacent bale wall as would occur at grade level.

I would look at perhaps extending the rafters on the south side to
accommodate sloped glazing over the balcony (using tempered glass salvaged
 from patio door insulating glass units (IGU) whose edge seals have failed)
and possibly using the same for of glass to create a double-height
sunspace (aka "greenhouse") at those locations for winter.

On the transverse section drawing "Prerez B" the first thing I noticed was
the shallow depth of the roof rafters, at most 200 to 250 mm.

That shallow framing cavity would not accommodate sufficient levels of
thermal insulation for anything resembling a well-insulated building.

I would look at using parallel chord trusses instead of solid lumber and
would look at a minimum truss depth of 600 mm, so that it would be
possible to install a minimum depth of 500mm of thermal insulation in the
roof, *the* most important component (next to glazed openings) in terms of
minimising building heat loss.

--
=== * ===
Rob Tom