[Strawbale] 1. Re: Europe's largest strawbale building (Sport Hotel, Jure Pozar)

Sport Hotel, Jure Pozar jure.pozar at gmail...
Fri Nov 26 11:45:16 CET 2010

Dear Herbert and others,

 From what you wrote I am not 100% wrong like Bane wrote. There are many
answers here which I appreciate but some are contradictionary. I realize
you all say it would be best to use infill system, but the problem is we
don`t have a company who does such timber structures that allows bale
filling (they make too many diagonal timber hands which prevent
strawbales to be filled, but such hands are neccesary for the winds we
have here), so I have to start from what is available. I have a very
trustworthy 3rd generation timber company who makes post & beam
structures which are normally filled with celoulose and have no
expirience in strawbales but they are willing to find a common solution.
I am now attaching some of my house plans so you can have a better image
of my project. We plan to make the concrete basement box, because we
have to add material/soil around the house in order to elevate the
ground, which is needed because of the type of terrain. Than we though
to cover concrete with water proof layer and than put strawbale layer
and boards over it. If the concrete is a bit elevated from the ground
around the house I guess it wouldn`t be a problem (we would take special
care in bathroom and kitchen of course).

Why not getting a company from abroad to build my house? Because than
also the materials will come from abroad which I don`t want to - I want
to have it local and this is where you are wrong Bane. Notranjska region
of Slovenia is highly forested and timber industry has a long tradition.
Out region is the biggest uninhabited forest area in the whole area, so
we don`t lack timber but I have to admit I don`t know yet where the OSB
plates come from - I will check of course. The second reason why not
getting the outside contractor is the cost. We are planning to build the
house for 140.000 - 150.000 EUR (including paperwork heating, solar
panels, water tank, cleaning sump,..) - ready to move in. As far as I
have checked the prices of similar houses for instance in Austria the
prices get much higher.

If the roof would be well ventilated than it also shouldn`t be a problem.

The only problem I can see is double OSB plates on the inside. I guess I
could use only one OSB layer and perhaps should plaster also the
interior of the strawbales thus it would make double plastering on the
inside of the strawbales.

May and others who opose OSB plates: when we use wooden baords/planks
inside instead of OSB plates, can we do plastering in such way that
there would be no cracking? Or we have to take the cracking as natural
and live wirh it?

Regards,

Jure

--

Jure Požar, dipl.org.tur./ general manager

HOTEL SPORT&   MTB park Notranjska
Kolodvorska c. 1, Postojna
Slovenia
Tel.: +386 5 720 22 44
Fax:  +386 5 720 22 40
Mobile: + 386 51 630 575
www.sport-hotel.si
e-mail: jure at sport-hotel...
www.dos-extreme.si
skype: jure.pozar

Bodi resnicoljuben: nikoli se ne pretvarjaj. Resnica vedno zmaga
Be truthful: never pretend. The truth always wins