[Strawbale] 1. Re: Europe's largest strawbale building (Sport Hotel, Jure Pozar)

Max Vittrup Jensen Max at PermaLot...
Thu Nov 25 19:08:42 CET 2010

Dear Jure and others,

For several years I've been opposed to using OSB on the inside of SB walls;
what I (neutrally) refer to as 'the Austrian approach', (as that's where
I've seen it applied the most).
My reasons being that I'm aware of the fact that OSB is
more susceptible to fungi growth as compared to particle board and plywood,
that there's been cases of completely rotten houses where everything looked
fine inside, but the interior was filled with fungi spores  (fault was due
to poor craftsmanship/water detailing not the OSB itself), and
none-the-least the famous case of post-hurricane Katrina trailer homes where
some people died in their toxic OSB boxes, but apparently this was due to
the poor production quality of the particular Asian OSB boards used.
Which leads to another issue: Global conscience; 2 years ago I read a
research that 60% of OSB on the European market came from Asian rain
forests. (Relative good news is that the new Kronospan OSB from Czech
appears to be leading in eco parameters; the factory is only 1,5 years old).

But most of all it's due to my non-scientific gut feeling that I just don't
believe in the research saying that such an apparently solid plate can
breathe enough!!! My aim in wall/roof design is to let the moisture out as
well as possible, and to condensate beyond the SB's, whether it's a wall or
a ceiling.
In our new house this means an earth plaster on reed mounted on wooden
boards which are spaced with about 10 cm in between on the 45 degree roof
construction (simply to stop the SB from dropping inside!), we've likewise
covered the top of the bales with an earth slip (fire and moisture
protection), have 5-10 cm ventilation gap before there's a breathable roof
foil (Brand: Jutafoil; Please be aware not to use 'Tyvek' brand, due to the
company's (Dupont) environmental record), then another gap to insure
ventilation of the tiles.

In the case of a roof we currently are applying for (and where you may get
to sleep for the ESBG, if funded), we need a more effective (fast) solution
than SB, and have opted for 30 cm. blown in cellulose insulation under a
green roof. We face the same interior issue regarding OSB, and our Architect
was very surprised when I blankly refused the interior OSB. Rather than
using OSB we'll likely end up using one layer of common (gypsum) drywall
mounted on wooden boards every 40 cm, and interior clad with reeds and spray
plastered. This solution also makes for a lot better fire-safety value; the
OSB option only had 15 min!!!  (I've woken up in a burning building once,
and would never design a 15 min. fire safety for any of my clients!!!)
To satisfy our OSB literature/marketing indoctrinated architect (!), we're
adding a breathable paper membrane above the drywall, under the insulation,
to allow for better diffusion of vapor, though personally I'm not convinced
of the need...but hey, I've never studied that field...  ;o)

I hope this adds to your question 1 and 5, and hopefully will spark some
discussion (maybe a good topic for a consensus finding workshop at the ESBG?
I trust some of you others to have better answers than I on the others. Only
like to add that I'd advice you to look at www.atelierwernerschmidt.ch for
answers in regards to SB in the floor, and perhaps also for solutions to
reduce the timber frame construction.

And best of luck with your very ambitious aims! Looking forward to your
presentation at the ESBG?

Cheers,
Max