[Strawbale] Bales for Haiti

contact at lamaisonenpaille... contact at lamaisonenpaille...
Fri Feb 19 15:11:27 CET 2010

Hello everybody,

The only way (I think) to find out whether the use of bales will in
Haïti are a good idea is first to get more information by visiting the
place (and in the second place by trying).
In India (Tamil Nadu) where Coralie and I built a small SB cabin (with
manually made bales) the climate is hot with 2 rain seasons (heavy
tropical rain). I talked with farmers who keep the rice straw in a stack
out in the field (no shelter) and they said that the straw keeps well
that way (the rice straw acts like a thatch roof). Lacking any
sientifical data/experience I therefore  figured that if the straw can
be stored out in the open it can be stored in a wall. My point is : 'hot
and humid' does not say a whole lot about the Haïtian climate. How much
rain really comes down? for how long? In what periods? Basicly : does
the wall have enough chance to dry out?
I have nothing againgst cob either, but when both the day AND the nights
are hot, then insulation might be a better option than only mass. Most
important is probably that people are going over there and try out
different methods. Max is right pointing out how difficult it is to come
in and do the right thing, yet it seems worse to me to not do anything
or to loose ones energy in discussing about wich method is best. I'm in
favour of  'testing' multiple ideas and leaving it up to time and the
Haïtians to see what will come from it.

Good travels to all that go!

Bye,
André