[Strawbale] [Bwbnewsletter] Building houses and community in Haiti

Builders Without Borders newsletter BWBNewsletter at builderswithoutborders...
Tue Dec 28 20:42:41 CET 2010

Reports are excellent from the Builders Without Borders team in
Haiti, working with local individuals and NGO's to produce a
demonstration building that we hope will lead to more locally-built,
safer homes in Haiti, built by the future owners and members of their
communities.

During the design phase, Project Director Martin Hammer reported that
the team went over the design of the Ti Kay Pay from bottom to top
multiple times, exploring components and how they inter-relate during
each pass.  "I now feel that the construction system is well-balanced
in terms of all the important aspects of:  materials and their
availability, cost, constructability, structural performance
(gravity, seismic, hurricane), durability, thermal comfort, and
environmental sustainability.  And all of it giving body to a simple,
beautiful, and culturally appropriate design."

The fruits of the careful design and planning are now being seen as
work is progressing with the construction phase.  Please take a look
at the attached PDF document for pictures and more description of the
progress.

As you know, Builders Without Borders is an all-volunteer network.
We seldom ask for financial support, without a concrete project for
you to donate to.  If the Haiti project inspires you as it does us,
please consider donating to help complete this beautiful, safe
building, and train other Haitians to replicate it.  To donate by
credit card, visit BWB’s website at:

<http://www.builderswithoutborders.org/>

Or, for maximum impact, mail a check to:
Builders Without Borders
119 Kingston Main St.
Hillsboro, NM 88042 USA

Best wishes for the New Year,