[Strawbale] Convection in SB walls

forum at lamaisonenpaille... forum at lamaisonenpaille...
Thu Dec 9 09:51:23 CET 2010

Hello,

Thanks Desert David for correcting what I understood of our conversation.

I see no point in trying to reduce the convection in the correctly built
and plasterd SB walls (where all the holes are correctly stuffed). Ok,
there is some convection in fibrous insulation material; probably
because they contain larger air spaces than 'normal' insulation
materials . But we still have VERY well preforming walls so let's put
our attention on other details that make a well preforming building.
Also, including 'solutions' for imaginary problems often create new real
problems.

As for the performance of SB combined with panels; rather drawing a
final conclusion from 1 test (even if it were done by the best experts)
or a gut feeling I feel  that it is a field where I would first like to
see a lot more hard data. Adapting Bruce's book 'Design of SB Buildings'
to french made me realize that thermal testing is a very complex thing.
That mistakes (in the protocol, in comparing and in drawing conlusions)
are easily made and the numbers that come out give us, at best, a very
limited vision of thermal reality. Still, they are clues to a better
understanding. And then there is the real world... Herbert, are there
any pasif house buildings made with OSB and SB that live up to those
expectations?

Thanks Carol for Jan Lacompte's paper
(http://www.viking-house.ie/downloads/Lecompte%20paper_partial%20fill%20cavity%20walling.pdf)

I wish you all a nice day,