[Strawbale] Convection in SB walls

Derek Roff derek at unm...
Wed Dec 8 23:08:36 CET 2010

I don't think that convection through the middle of dense bales is a
significant problem.  The convection that RT and André are discussing
is between the bales and a cladding material, hence, outside the plane
of the bales.  Air movement in the vertical spaces between the ends of
the bales in each bale course (row, layer) is likely to be much larger
than within a bale, even with good stuffing, but if the bales are laid
with a running bond, then the vertical distance will only be the height
of one bale at each location.

The "French Dip" method of dipping each bale in clay slip, before
stacking the bale in the wall, is a technique that a number of people
have tried.  I think it has some pluses, relating to both air movement
and fire resistance.  Fire resistance is most critical before in the
construction phase, before the plastering is completed.  French Dip
gives you a significant increase in safety, during this critical phase.
But it is rather messy.

Derelict

--On Wednesday, December 8, 2010 9:43 PM +0000 Dave Howorth
<dave at howorth....uk> wrote:

> On Wed, 2010-12-08 at 21:58 +0100, forum at lamaisonenpaille... wrote:
>> the convection that is common in fibrous insulation materials.
>
> I've wondered what can be done about this. Convection needs height to
> really get going so I wonder if some less permeable layer laid
> horizontally between the layers of bales might reduce it some.
>
> Obviously you don't want it totally impermeable to water vapour or
> liquid, and you want it cheap. So for a completely off the wall idea,
> how does laying sheets of old newspaper on top of each row of bales
> sound? They'll get holed a bit but that shouldn't matter too much.
>
> Cheers, Dave

Derek Roff
Language Learning Center
Ortega Hall 129, MSC03-2100