[Strawbale] Plaster and fire safety -And PU question

Derek Roff derek at unm...
Tue Dec 7 18:06:08 CET 2010

--On Tuesday, December 7, 2010 10:11 AM +0100 Kurt235 at yahoo... wrote:

> Formaldehyd is a naturel product contained in wood.
> There are no formaldeyd free OSB´s (wood).
> After "they" found out how bad formaldehyd is, "they" changed the clue
> to PU-clue. But this clue contains isocyanate... THat PU-clue is
> worse...but most people just don´t know! As a building biologist i
> wouldn´t use OSB´s in my home!

I haven't been able to find any references to formaldehyde in (natural)
wood.  In all the regulatory documents that I looked at, formaldehyde
was only discussed as an additive to wood products.  Can you tell us
more about the concentrations in natural wood, Kurt?  From my searches,
it looks like the researchers considered the naturally occurring levels
of formaldehyde in wood, if any, to be too low to mention.  In
contrast, there is much discussion of the amount of formaldehyde added
to wood products, and the health risks that might be associated, even
at very low concentrations.  There are also a number of composite wood
products labeled as "formaldehyde-free", which may contain other
dangerous chemicals.

Derelict

Derek Roff
Language Learning Center