[Strawbale] OSB or Not? (rendering versus sheeting)

forum at lamaisonenpaille... forum at lamaisonenpaille...
Tue Dec 7 00:51:30 CET 2010

Max,
As for 'dangerous' builders and the dangerous building practices that
they broadcast : I'm glad they have the freedom to do so. And I feel it
is simply up to those who have a 'better' understanding of building
science, who care and can afford the time it takes of their personal
life, to share as much and as well as they can so that those who care to
make a well informed choice can do so. I'm glad you and many others do
so. For the rest it just takes faith.... and convincing arguments.

I agree with the long and well constructed contributions sent by several
participants on the list. And I'll probably repeat until the end of my
days: Test before going 'all the way' and if you do not have the
possibilty to do so, don't expériment too much if you don't want your
building to be an experiment.

My point of view: Plaster on bales rule, very wide overhangs (verandas)
are excelent and well constructed vented rainscreens are the best thing
for exposed façades. 'Clean OSB' is not the end of the world. If the
bales are places thightly against them the insulation value is probably
not so bad (Herbert, give us your numbers ;-) and in a 'normal'
situation we don't care if the walls smolder after 15 minutes of fire on
the inside of a house. You should be outside by then as everyting else
that is burnin inside (couch, TV, curtains etc.) is turning the place
into a humongous barbeque. As for the mold on OSB, I have no opinion
that I dare share.

Finally, like one of my workshop participants said : "you cannot have :
Cheap, quick and quality". You can only have 2. True, with a lot of
experimenting or good study you can build, cheap quality buildings fast,
but that amount of preparation takes a long time for new time
desigers/builders. I strongly suggest all those who do not want to spent
their life experimenting on SB to invest (at least) in good reading
material and to participate in a few workshops. Then build and finish
someting small (say 30M²) and ONLY THEN start drawing your dream home.

Good luck and welcome to the very complex and dangerous world of
building. It's a facinating world...

André
France
www.lamaisonenpaille.com