[Strawbale] OSB or Not? (rendering versus sheeting)

Brian Waite brian at brianwaite....uk
Mon Dec 6 18:50:31 CET 2010

Dear All,
I hesitate to join in such discussions because my only experience is with my
own strawbalehouse, and that doesn't follow any of the rules. However
building experience and common sense says that Jeff is right on all aspects.
I would just like to add that the space between bale and OSB would create a
chimney effect in the sad event of fire starting that would allow rapid
spread and acceleration of combustion. One thing that makes strawbale
buildings more resistant to fire than a normal timber framed house is that
there are, usually, no such cavities.
Re. the exterior rain protection, I cover all of the (lime rendered) bales
with tiles and use the chimney effect to draw air over the exterior render.
I also leave the exterior lime rough "as sprayed" to present more surface
area to the afore mentioned draught.
By the way all my lime render and plaster was done with one only sprayed
layer and after three coats of limewash the interior is nearly as smooth as
gypsum plaster - certainly smoother than I anticipated.
Brian
www.strawbalehouse.co.uk