[Strawbale] [BWBNewsletter] Builders Without Borders NM Workshop is Fundraiser for Haiti, Aug 14, 15

Builders Without Borders newsletter BWBNewsletter at builderswithoutborders...
Fri Aug 6 03:44:04 CEST 2010

Builders Without Borders Workshop is Fundraiser for Haiti
August 14 & 15 in Kingston, New Mexico, Earthen Floors and Plasters

The January 12, 2010 earthquake in Port-au-Prince was an enormous
tragedy for the people of Haiti, causing the deaths of 230,000 and
leaving 1.4 million homeless.  Yet in its wake there is an enormous
opportunity for Haiti to rebuild, restore, and revitalize itself in
ways previously not possible.

Since the earthquake, Berkeley architect Martin Hammer has twice
visited Haiti on assessment teams from the Earthquake Engineering
Research Institute and the World Monuments Fund.  He is currently
working with Builders Without Borders to help create sustainable
reconstruction, and is giving a series of presentations about his
experiences and vision for Haiti.

Also, on August 14 & 15 in Kingston, New Mexico, architect Alfred von
Bachmayr will teach a hands-on workshop on earthen plasters and earthen
floor installation.  Builders Without Borders (BWB) co-directors Derek
Roff & Catherine Wanek will also give presentations on Rainwater
Harvesting, Composting Toilets and Straw Bale Building Design
Essentials.

Santa Fe, NM architect Alfred von Bachmayr is the founder of World
Hands Project (www.worldhandsproject.org).  BWB and WHP have both
submitted project proposals to the government of Haiti to create
prototype building systems that are seismically-resistant, ecological,
and empowering to the Haitian people and their economy.  All workshop
proceeds will go to support rebuilding projects in Haiti.

The August natural building workshops in New Mexico will help support
both BWB/Martin Hammer’s work , and the World Hands Project proposal in
Haiti.  The workshops will be held Saturday and Sunday, August 14 & 15
at the Black Range Lodge in Kingston, NM (www.blackrangelodge.com). The
cost is $75 per day, or $115 for both days, including lunch and free
camping.  For more information call 575-895-5652, or visit
www.builderswithoutborders.org

A limited number of work exchange positions are available for
participants who can help prepare and clean up after the workshop.

We've recently updated our website for more information activities
focused Haiti.  I will send out a second message shortly, with a poster
of the fundraising workshop.  Those of our members with slow
connections or dial-up may wish to skip downloading this 800K poster.

Catherine Wanek
Derek Roff
Builders Without Borders Co-Directors