[Strawbale] prefab strawbale (MR)

Mark Harrison mark at harrisonembrey...
Thu Sep 17 20:04:39 CEST 2009

Hello all,

I know of several buildings using large 200-250kg straw bales. Locations where cost per square foot/meter of land is incredibly low, they may be useful in that they are a very common format for bulk handling fibre but they are also over engineered and not without there problems.

Here is a link to Huff and Puff, the Australian SB organisation and their offer as one example.

http://glassford.com.au/main/?page_id=394

All the normal conditions are required in the specification of these bales, bulk density, moisture, mould, weed seeds, foreign matter etc and if this is done then the raw material is viable.

For specific buildings (where land is cheap) that require hyper-insulation to control the internal climate (frozen food or chill storage, wine store, recording studio, sports halls) then jumbo bales may potentially have a place.

In high rainfall/humidity areas procuring jumbo bales dry <18% free moisture, keeping them dry throughout the supply chain is an absolute must to quality control the build against all the normal risks. Common sense stuff really! Being professional and being able to giving gurantees that are certificated by an independent agency depends on this and is the route we are taking.

Here is a refurbished livestock barn, rezoned for office accomodation that uses big bales, it was designed by White Design, creators of the Modcell concept.

http://www.modcell.co.uk/page/projects/grange-farm

The sound insulation quality of this build is exceptional but as the building was a steel frame the thermal bridging issues need professional building design and materials, as this was a project for the farmer client in this case was they were more than receptive to the use of jumbo bales (they have them on farm and the kit to handle them) and the planners required them to keep the livestock building too so they were looking for a low cost solution!

I would be very interested in knowing of anyone who is interested or whom would be interested in working on developing a pan-european or even global specification for construction grade fibre as a hybrid open source project.

Regards,

Mark